Knox-Lincoln 4-H Newsletter-March 2014
Upcoming Events and Important Dates
March 28 Deadline to sign up for Club Exhibit space at Union Fair.
March 31 KLLA Meeting, 6pm
April 1 ESE Horse Animal Approval form due
April 12 KL 4-H Photography Workshop, Aldermere Farm, Rockport, 10am-2pm (register by April 7)
April 22 Earth Day
April 28 KLLA Meeting, 6pm
Laurel Brooks, Savannah Dube, Owen Dyer, Baylee Flynn, Nathaniel Jewett, Samantha Lamoreau, Michelle Main, Crystal Miller, Frances Pendleton
Public Speaking Tournament Went Well
The Knox-Lincoln Public Speaking and Demonstration Tournament was held on Sunday, March 9 at Jefferson Village School. With this space, we were able to split the presentations between two rooms, making the event shorter and more comfortable for everyone. This year Cloverbuds were awarded trophies. The top scores in Junior, Senior and Team classes were awarded cash prizes: first place $25, second place $20, third place $15, and fourth place $10.
Making Bread Anthony Dube, Jolly Juniors
Butterflies Sabrinnah Dube, Jolly Juniors
Neil Armstrong, American Hero John Strout, Jolly Juniors
How to Decorate a Cake Cailey Elliot, Jolly Juniors
Stonehenge Giacomo Smith, Jolly Juniors
Tae Kwon Do Evelyn Rousseau, Jolly Juniors
Dancing on Point Shoes Kennedy Scheimreif , Independent First
Jamestown Alessandro Smith, Jolly Farmers Second
Genetically Modified Organisms Sean Krejsa, Jolly Farmers Third
Making Brownies Arianna Cloutier, Independent Tie Fourth
Riding a Donkey Jeremy Dube, Jolly Farmers Tie Fourth
How to Hatch a Chicken Egg Kaleb Flynn, Jolly Farmers
Surviving in the Wilderness Isabel Flynn, Jolly Farmers
Titanic Skye Havey, Jolly Farmers
Humanoids Hugo Smith, Jolly Farmers
Basics of Swimming Kat Newcombe, Jolly Farmers First
Basketball Faith Kraus, Jolly Farmers Second
How to Make a Popsicle Baylee Flynn & Ariel Stillman, Jolly Farmers First
Maine Owls Nathan Dube & Savannah Dube, Jolly Farmers Second
Register for the 4-H Photography Workshop
We are offering a Photography Workshop for KL 4-H members of all ages on Saturday, April 12, 10am-2pm at the Aldermere Farm in Rockport. Come learn more about your camera and how to take better pictures. The farm offers great opportunities for a variety of scenic subjects! This workshop is limited to 20 participants, so pre-register by Monday, April 7. Bring a lunch, snacks provided. Parents and volunteers are welcome to stay and participate, too. Call or email 832-0343, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign-up Now for Union Fair Club Exhibits
Although Union Fair is months away, it is time to plan your Club Exhibit! KL 4-H has been offered space in the Beattie Exhibition Hall (Craft Barn), near the poultry barn at Union Fair. We think this is an excellent location for our club exhibits! In order to make this work well for the hall, as well as give clubs time to plan and create a wonderful exhibit, we are asking clubs and groups of at least two independents to sign up now for their spot. The sign-up deadline is March 28. Call or email 207.832.0343, email@example.com.
Club Exhibit theme for 2014 is History. Remember to make your exhibit interactive with the public, display your club name and town prominently, and have a club scrapbook of your activities for the year in display. New this year: Independents can exhibit too! A group of 2 or more independent members can create a club exhibit together. Guidelines for Club Exhibits and Independent Exhibits will be posted in early March. In the meantime, reserve your space!
Apply for National Trips-Deadline March 14
National 4-H Trips are excellent opportunities for 4-H youth age 14-18 to meet 4-H members from across the nation. Participants learn about many career options, and learn through educational workshops at 4-H National Congress or become a part of a team making recommendations to National 4-H Council at 4-H National Conference. To learn more: http://umaine.edu/4h/home/national-4-h-trips/.
Start Your Project Records Now
You will have a much neater, more accurate record if you start now, not at the last minute! Does your club want help getting started with Project Records? If you would like to have Cindy visit one of your club meetings to help, or if you just want to ask a question, contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org, 207.832.0343.
4-H Accident Insurance Payments Requested
The Knox-Lincoln Leaders’ Association has voted to pay the cost of accident insurance in 2014 for all enrolled Knox-Lincoln 4-H members and leaders, covering them at 4-H events and meeting activities for the year. We are asking clubs and individual members who are able to reimburse the cost of this insurance (which is $1 per member or leader, $2 for each horse project member or leader) back to KLLA. We thank you for your assistance.
Dates Announced for 4-H@UMaine
Hold the date: 4-H@UMaine will be held May 16 & 17, 2014. Ask someone who has attended; this is a FUN weekend and a fantastic opportunity to experience a little bit of college life. If you are between the ages of 12 and 18, save the date and check the 4-H State News in coming months for more details!
Do You Have News? Send It Here!
We have noticed that clubs and members no longer send us news about what they or their clubs are doing in 4-H. We really want to hear from you! A great way to do this is to choose a club reporter who regularly writes a short paragraph; just a sentence or two is fine, about what the club did at their meeting. We welcome your photos, artwork and creative writing as well. We can publish those here or on our Facebook page. Send news items to Cindy: email@example.com.
State 4-H Office Core Newsletter Posts
- Maine 4-H Foundation Scholarships - http://umaine.edu/4h/2014/02/26/maine-4-h-foundation-scholarships/
- Save the Date for 2014 Maine 4-H Days – http://umaine.edu/4h/2013/10/28/save-the-date-for-2014-maine-4-h-days/
- 4-H Dog Fun Day – Saturday, April 26, 12:00 – 4:00 pm at Renaissance Dogs, 127 Main Street, Holden, ME 04429. Come have a fun-filled day learning about dogs! Learn agility with Rebecca Henderson from Renaissance Dogs. Meet licensed veterinarian technician and Purina Certified Weight Coach, Marisa Gleason, from Veazie Veterinary Clinic to discuss nutrition and your dog. Challenge your dog in Trivia! (Hint: know your working dogs, grooming tools, and basic first aid!) Call Lori Swenson at 207.654.2110 to pre-register, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 4-H Regional Public Speaking Tournament – http://umaine.edu/4h/2013/11/21/4-h-regional-public-speaking-tournament-2/
- Help Wanted! Regional Public Speaking Contest 3/29/14 – http://umaine.edu/4h/2014/02/26/help-wanted-regional-public-speaking-contest-3292014-2/
- National 4-H Trips Applications Due – http://umaine.edu/4h/2014/01/22/national-4-h-trips-applications-due/
- Save the Date! Come join us for 4-H@UMaine! - http://umaine.edu/4h/2014/01/22/save-the-date-join-us-for-4-humaine/
- 2014 Eastern States Horse Tryouts – http://umaine.edu/4h/2014/01/22/2014-eastern-states-horse-tryouts/
- 2014 Horse Judging Clinic – http://umaine.edu/4h/2014/02/25/2014-horse-judging-clinic/
- Upcoming Dairy Events – http://umaine.edu/4h/2013/12/30/upcoming-4-h-dairy-events/
- Dairy Quiz Bowl Results – http://umaine.edu/4h/2014/02/26/dairy-quiz-bowl-results-2/
- Citizenship Washington Focus (CWF) – http://umaine.edu/4h/2014/01/22/citizenship-washington-focus-cwf/
- 2014 Northeast Youth Show Calf Summit – http://umaine.edu/4h/2014/02/26/2014-northeast-youth-show-calf-summit/
- 2014 Massachusetts Blue Ribbon Calf Sale and Clinics – http://umaine.edu/4h/2014/02/26/2014-massachusetts-blue-ribbon-calf-sale-and-clinics/
- Intent Forms for Eastern States Exposition – http://umaine.edu/4h/2014/01/22/intent-forms-for-eastern-states-exposition/
- 2014 New England 4-H Horse Judges School – http://umaine.edu/4h/2014/01/22/2014-new-england-4-h-horse-judges-school/