Resources for Faculty - Tips for Discouraging Plagiarism
- Assign narrow and specific research topics.
- Dont allow last-minute changes of topic.
- Require that outlines be submitted three to four weeks prior to the deadline and that drafts be submitted with the final paper.
- Give written or oral pop quizzes in class.
- Require detailed citations, including page numbers.
- Put your schools academic integrity policy in your syllabus.
- Clearly explain your expectations.
- Encourage students to come to you if they are confused about citation practices.
- Be a good role model. Cite sources in your lectures. Talk to student about how citation shows respect for other scholars.
- Talk about academic honesty with your students, and make sure they understand both the reasons and the tools for avoiding plagiarism.
Source: What Can We Do About Student Cheating?
By Sally Cole and Elizabeth Kiss
About Campus, May-June 2000