Maine Invasive Species Network Annual Meeting
The MISN annual meeting provides an open annual forum for those involved in invasive species management, research, education and/or outreach programs.
The first meeting was held in 2009 at the Viles Arboretum in Augusta. Prior meetings have ranged from terrestrial plant management techniques and research to roundtable discussions of citizen science and taxa-specific updates.
Meetings have been hosted at UMaine, Orono and Augusta to date and and will be held in Portland this year. Please consider joining the MISN-L email listserv to receive notifications and updates about this upcoming and future meetings.
4th Annual MISN Meeting: April 18th, 2013 Gulf of Maine Research Institute, Portland.
The theme of the meeting was “Taking Action.” The keynote include a number community groups and organizations sharing stories of action they are taking. The group used an unconference model in the afternoon to enable discussion on types of action in research, management, and outreach that MISN members are interested in sharing and pursuing.
8:30-9:00 Coffee and sign in
9:00 – 9:15 Welcome
9:15 – 10:30 15 minute updates
Invasive Forest Pests- Colleen Teerling, Maine Forest Service
Terrestrial Plants- Lois Berg-Stack, University of Maine
Freshwater Aquatic Plants- John McPhedran, Maine Dept. of Environmental Protection
Marine Invasives – Jennifer Dijsktra, Wells National Estuarine Research Reserve
TBD – Andrei Alyokhin, University of Maine
10:30 – 10:45 – Break
10:45 – 11:45
- Ann Williams and Lucy LaCasse from Kezar Lake’s “Eyes on the Water” will share their work bringing together a community to learn about and protect their local watershed
- Jamien Jacobs from Friends School of Portland will share her work engaging middle school students in invasive species removal and habitat restoration
- Beth Bisson from Maine Sea Grant will share recent efforts to coordinate a response to the arrival of Heterosiphonia japonica
- Sarah Boudreau and Kathryn Bacastow of the Fort Williams Arboretum will share their story about engaging a community in invasive species management
11:45 – 12:00 Introduction to afternoon sessions
12:00 – 12:45 Lunch
12:45 – 1:15 Poster session and sign-up for unconference session
1:15 – 2:15 Unconference session 1
2:30 – 3:30 Unconference session 2
3:30 – 3:45 Conclusion
Call for posters – Invasive species ecology, management, economic impacts, education, programs in public participation, and more
Poster session registration is part of the event registration. Please have a poster abstract ready (200 words or less). Poster registration deadline is Friday, April 5, 2013.
- 3rd Annual Meeting: April 26th, 2012 Viles Arboretum, Augusta
- 2nd Annual Meeting: February 17, 2011 Buchanan Alumni House UMaine, Orono
- 1st MISN Meeting: October, 2010 Viles Arboretum, Augusta