Study Abroad – Outgoing - U.S. Passport Information
This web page was developed to help you apply for or renew a U.S. passport.
First-Time U.S. Passport Application
- To obtain a passport for the first time, you must apply in person.
- UMaine students, faculty and administrators may apply for a passport at the Orono Post Office. Applications are accepted Monday through Friday, 9:00 – 4:00 p.m. The Orono Post Office is located at 1 Bennoch Road in downtown Orono. For more information, call the Orono Post Office at 866-2566.
First-Time Application Requirements
- Application Forms: This form can be obtained from the Orono Post Office as well. Do NOT sign the DS-11 application form until the Passport Acceptance Agent instructs you to do so!
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship (e.g. a certified birth certificate): A certified birth certificate has a registrar’s raised, embossed, impressed, or seal; registrar’s signature; and date the certificate was filed with the registrar’s office, which must be within one year of your birth.
- 2 Passport Photos: Can be obtained from the Orono Post Office ($15 for two). Must be taken within the past 6 months.
- Valid Form of ID (e.g. driver’s license): No college IDs.
- Applicable Fees: Passport Application Fee ($140) payable by check or money order to the U.S. Department of State, Processing Fee ($25) payable by cash, check, or credit/debit card to the Orono Post Office, Passport Pictures ($15 for two at the Orono Post Office).
Renewal of a U.S. Passport
- You can renew your passport by mail if you already have an undamaged passport issued within the past 15 years; were at least age 16 when it was issued; and still have the same name as in the passport (or you can legally document your name change). If you don’t fit these requirements, you need to renew your passport in a Passport Acceptance Facility, such as the Orono Post Office. For more information, visit Renew Passport website.
Last Modified On August 7, 2012
Back to Study Abroad – Outgoing