Study Abroad Programs - Principia Consortium
UMaine offers a unique study abroad program to Honors students in Science and Pre-Med. The Principia Consortium Study Abroad was created as an “honestly unique” study abroad experience which represents substantive intellectual and academic engagement at a prestigious university, but also allows students cultural experiences in Glasgow and in Europe that will help them to mature as “citizens of the world.
Founded in 1451, the University of Glasgow is the fourth oldest university in the English-speaking world. Today it is a broad-based, research intensive institution with a global reach.
- Open only to UMaine student at the Honors College
- Students interested in applying to this program must have a minimum SAT of 1300 (math and reading) or an ACT of 31 as well as a 3.5 cumulative GPA at UMaine.
- Open to Honors students major in Pre-Med, Pre-Health, Biochemistry, Biology and Chemistry.
- Offers an interdisciplinary honors tutorial, Scottish Enlightenment: Ideas and Influences. This course is worth 20 Scotcat credits (5 UMaine credits). This course was specifically designed and created for the Principia Consortium so that this course might easily transfer back to UMaine as a core requirement or an elective. This course allows students to meet, interact and become friends with other Honors students from across the U.S. from a variety of programs and backgrounds.
- Students may enroll in 60 and 80 Scotcat credits (15 to 20 UMaine credits). This can be made up of a wide range of classes.
- Students have access to junior and senior courses (level 3 and 4) not ordinarily open to study abroad students at University of Glasgow.
- Students who participate in the Principia Consortium receive a 10% reduction on fees for graduate study at University of Glasgow.
Courses available to science and pre-med students: