Study Abroad - Finances & Financial Aid
The cost of study abroad is comprised of tuition, administrative fees, housing, meals, air and ground transportation, passport and visa fees, vacation period travel, and personal costs.
If you are not sure if you can afford studying abroad, please consider the following factors:
- Many study abroad programs are the same cost as a semester at UMaine. Find programs in countries which are affordable to live to lower the cost of your program. Think of locations you may not have considered yet, such as Bulgaria, India, Thailand, Turkey, South Korea, Chile, Peru, Argentina, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, etc.
- Talk to your family. They will be your key allies in funding your semester abroad. Ask your family and friends for cash contributions to your “study abroad savings account” for birthdays and major holidays. You will be surprised how much you will save in a few semesters.
- Meet with your financial aid advisor to discuss your financial aid package and explore options for additional funding.
- Apply for all UMaine, state, national and other scholarships available to you. Start your study abroad process early to meet all scholarship deadlines.
- Re-evaluate all your monthly expenses prior to going abroad. The late Friday night pizza will be as much as a budget airline ticket for a weekend trip.
- Create your own crowdsourcing campaign and fundraise through bottle drives, craft sales, etc.
- UMaine financial aid funds can be used for study abroad programs which are approved by the Office of International Programs.
- Students must maintain full-time status while abroad (the local equivalent of at least 12 UMaine credit hours).
- Complete your FAFSA for the academic year as usual and based on UMaine costs. Once your FAFSA is approved and financial aid awarded, UMaine will internally approve the release of your financial aid for your specific study abroad program. Do not include any information about your study abroad program on your FAFSA application.
- The Financial Aid Office can adjust the loans the student is eligible for to accommodate the higher cost for the semester, but a student will need to submit a full program budget.
- Study abroad students cannot utilize their federal work study award while overseas, but they may be converted to loans.
- Students may also be able to apply for an alternative loan through the Financial Aid Office. For more information, visit Direct Parent PLUS Loan and Alternative Student Loans.
- Be aware of the cost of your program and be sure you have enough funding to participate. Airfare, visas and housing deposits are usually paid before UMaine financial aid is disbursed for the abroad program.
- Financial aid funds are released the first week of each semester at UMaine regardless the start date of the abroad program. Summer aid is disbursed at the beginning of the summer term. All study abroad required forms must be completed in order for the financial aid to be released. Aid is disbursed through direct deposit.
- Students must budget appropriately to make travel plans, pay program deposits and apply for a visa prior to financial aid disbursement.
- You must plan accordingly and have funds readily available for several weeks abroad at the start of the program.
- Inform the Office of Financial Aid about any study abroad scholarships you are awarded.
- Summer Financial Aid is applied for and awarded separately than the regular academic year aid. The application is open after spring break each year.
- Students are encouraged to speak with a Financial Aid Advisor to discuss their aid and study abroad plans. The Office of Financial Aid is located in Wingate Hall.
|Type of Financial Aid||Applicable to Study Abroad?||Contact for more information|
|Pell Grant||All approved programs|
|Federal Supplemental Grant||All approved programs|
|Federal Direct Stafford Loan||All approved programs|
|Federal Perkins Loan||All approved programs|
|Federal Parent PLUS Loan||All approved programs|
|State of Maine Grant||All approved programs|
|University of Maine Grant||All approved programs|
|UMaine Presidential Scholarship||All approved email@example.com|
|UMaine Flagship Scholarship||All approved firstname.lastname@example.org|
|UMaine Black Bear Scholarship||All approved email@example.com|
|Transfer Merit Award||All approved firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Department/College Scholarship||All approved programs||Office of Financial Aid|
|External scholarship||Possibly||Office of Financial Aid|
|WorkStudy Funds||NO||Office of Financial Aid|
|International Student Scholarship||Applies to direct exchange only||Office of International Programs|
|Employee Dependent Tuition Benefit||Applies to direct exchange only||Office of Financial Aid|
|Native American Waiver||Applies to direct exchange only||Wabanaki Center|
|Veteran Tuition Scholarship||Applies to direct exchange only||V.E.T.S. Office|