Study Abroad - Brazil Scientific Mobility Program
- About the program
- Summer Dining
- Summer Housing
- Summer Course Registration
- Fall Housing
- Fall Course Registration
- Registration Contacts
- Health Insurance
- UMaine staff contacts
About the Program
The Brazil Scientific Mobility Program (BSMP) is designed to expand STEM innovation for Brazilian nationals with substantial funding from the Brazilian government. The program sends undergraduate and graduate Brazilian students as well as faculty, researchers, and post-docs for study, research, and internships at the top universities in the US and other countries.
The program is a joint effort of the Brazilian Ministry of Education and Ministry of Science and Technology through their respective funding agencies – CAPES and CNPq – and is administered by the International Institute of Education (IIE).
The University of Maine welcomes all students through this program as visiting (non-degree) students for two or three semesters:
- Language students - who spend one or two semesters at the Intensive English Institute (IEI) at UMaine taking only English as a Second Language courses
- Bridge students - who are close to meeting the UMaine English language proficiency and take half of their coursework at IEI and one or two academic UMaine courses
- Full-time students – who have met the English language proficiency and take only academic courses at UMaine
UMaine Dining can provide a 21 day equivalency of Dining funds at $26.27 per day billed at $183.89 per week. UMaine will invoice BSMP directly for the cost of the meal plan. This would cover the cost of three meals per day when Hilltop is open and can be used at the Bear’s Den (Union) during times when Hilltop is closed or when there are limited hours of operation. Brazilian students will have the ability to use this for to go meals or dine in meals offering them flexibility when dining venues are closed or when they need food for take- out. Any leftover funds will rollover to the academic year but must be used by the end of the Fall 2014 semester.
Hilltop offers “all you care to eat” dining during the hours listed.
Hilltop Dining Hall Hours (PDF updated May 9)
Students will be offered a single room in Hancock Hall. UMaine will invoice BSMP directly for the cost of summer housing.
Summer Course Registration
Students will register for 2-3 courses (6-9 credits) spread over the summer months. UMaine will invoice BSMP directly for the cost of tuition and fees. The BSMP program will cover up to 15 credits for summer in total. Students who were in the bridge program in Spring 2014 can take IEI courses in the summer. Students who were taking only academic courses (full-time students) in Spring 2014 semester can take only academic courses. Contact your UMaine advisor (see staff list below). No online courses allowed.
Instructions how to print a Verification of Enrollment of summer courses
All Brazilian students who are completing their program in Fall 2014, must check out of their rooms no later than 5pm on Friday, December 20, 2014.
Fall Course Registration
Full-time students will register for 4-5 courses (12-15 credits) for the fall semester. UMaine will invoice BSMP directly for the cost of tuition and fees. Contact your UMaine advisor (see staff list below). Students must take 75% of their courses in their major. One course can be outside of the major. No online courses allowed.
Students can work with their primary advisor (see UMaine staff list below) or one of the following UMaine faculty and staff:
Summer registration – Wanda Westley, 122 Chadbourne Hall, email@example.com
Critical Language VOX Courses - students must apply to the MLC department for permission
Natural Sciences students - Jessica Chadbourne, 100 Winslow Hall, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Animal Science (AVS) – Martin Stokes, 130 Hitchner Hall, email@example.com
- Biology (BIO) – Christa Schwintzer, 310 Deering Hall, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ecology & Environmental Sciences (EES) – Lindsay Seward, 238 Nutting Hall, email@example.com
- Earth & Climate Sciences (ERS) – Alice Kelley, 105 Bryand Global Center, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Economics (ECO) – Caroline Noblet, 207 Winslow Hall, email@example.com
- Forestry (SFR) – William Livingston, 201 Nutting Hall, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Food Science & Human Nutrition (FSN) - Mona Therrien, 103 Hitchner Hall, email@example.com
- Marine Science courses (SMS) – William Ellis, 360 Aubert Hall, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Molecular & Biomedical Sciences (BMB) – Charles Moody, 286 Hitchner Hall, email@example.com
- Wildlife Ecology (WLE) – Daniel Harrison, 230 Nutting Hall, firstname.lastname@example.org
Engineering students - Laurie Fullerton, 210 AMC Building, email@example.com
- Civil & Environmental Engineering (CIE)- William Davids, 105 Boardman Hall, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Electrical & Computer Engineering (ECE) – Donald Hummels, 101 Barrows, email@example.com
- Mechanical Engineering (MEE) – Karen Fogarty, Administrative Assistant, 219 Boardman Hall, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Engineering Technology (CET, EET, MET) - Linda Liscomb, Administrative Assistant, 119 Boardman Hall, email@example.com
2013-2014 Academic Year
BSMP students are registered for the UMaine health insurance plan. It covers students from August 1, 2013 through July 31, 2014.
Fall 2014 semester
All Brazilian students who are finishing UMaine in December 2014 must submit the Temporary Coverage Insurance Form 2014-15 to apply for the 6 month UMaine health insurance plan by Friday, September 12, 2014.
Please submit the form to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, September 12, 2014. You can also mail forms to University of Maine, Office of International Programs, 5727 Estabrooke Hall, Room 240, Orono, ME 04469-5727, or send by fax (207) 581-2920.
Once we have your Temporary Insurance Coverage form, we will register you for the plan for 6 months, which costs $1,262 and will be fully covered by IIE.
If you do not submit this form, UMaine will automatically add you to the FULL YEAR PLAN, which costs $2,489. IIE will not cover the portion beyond your program dates (January-July 2015), and you will be responsible for paying the difference.
New BSMP students starting in Fall 2014
New BSMP students starting at UMaine in Fall 2014 will be automatically registered for the UMaine International Health Insurance Plan for Academic year 2014-2015. No forms are required. The full cost of the insurance plan will be covered by IIE.
Admissions Counselor – Andrea West, 241 Estabrooke Hall, Andrea.West@maine.edu
Intensive English Institute Advisor (Language and Bridge students) – Rebecca S. Rand, 206 Hannibal Hamlin Hall, Rebecca_S_Rand@umit.maine.edu
Full-time Student Advisor – Orlina Boteva, 240 Estabrooke Hall, Orlina.Boteva@maine.edu
Billing/invoices – Beth Morin, 107 Alumni Hall, Morin@maine.edu