Pre-departure for International Students - Activate Your UMaine Online Accounts
On this page:
- Activating your UMaine Accounts
- Accessing your UMaine accounts
- How to use UMaine MyCampus portal (instructional video)
- Tutorials on how to use MaineStreet
Activating your UMaine Accounts
Your UMS account grants access to the MaineStreet portal and your email@example.com email account. This account should be activated as soon as possible. It will be used to communicate important information to you about campus housing, registration and student services. If you have already activated your UMS account you should check your access to the MaineStreet portal and your maine.edu email accounts. If you have not yet activated your UMS accounts, please do so now. To activate your account:
- Go to UMaine’s Account Activation page.
- Enter your Student ID and Activation Code provided in your admission letter.
- After you submit your activation, the activation web site generates an acknowledgement. The acknowledgement contains your new UMS User Name, password, and email address. This information should be kept private. Please save or print the information and keep it in a secure place.
- Once you have activated your account, you may use your new UMS User Name and password to check on the status of your application, or to update your personal information. Go to the MaineStreet portal. Enter your UMS User Name and password to access the portal.
If you have any difficulty activating or logging into your account, please visit our support site. This site has information about your UMS account and the MaineStreet portal, and provides links to helpful resources. If you need further assistance, you may call the UMaine IT Help Desk at (207) 581‑2506 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information visit UMS User Account Management.
@MAINE.EDU Email Account
@Maine.edu is UMaine’s official email system. The University will use your maine.edu email account to communicate important information to you about campus housing, registration and student services. You are responsible for any information sent you at this account. It is essential that you begin using this email account immediately. You can either check it regularly by going to http://mail.maine.edu or you can forward it to an account that you use regularly.
- Go to http://mail.maine.edu
- Click on the Login to UMS Webmail link
- Log in using your UMS User Name and password
To forward your email:
- Go to http://mail.maine.edu
- Click on the link Change the destination of email sent to your @Maine.edu address
- Select the button next to Forward to the following address(es):, enter the email address to which you want mail forwarded from @maine.edu and then click the Change Forwarding button
If you have difficulty activating, logging into, or using your account, please visit our support site. This site has information about your UMS account and the MaineStreet portal and provides links to helpful resource. If you need further assistance, you may call the UMaine IT Help Desk at (207) 581-2506 or email them at email@example.com.
FirstClass (@umit.maine.edu) Account
FirstClass is UMaine’s official communications system which provides ALL students with the ability to effectively communicate and share valuable resources and information via email, conferencing (public, private or courses), directories, individual and shared calendars and online chats. Users also have the ability to build their own web pages, whether personal or course related, and to share documents and files.
If you do not have a username or password to access the Firstclass system, please go to http://www.umaine.edu/firstclass and use your Mainestreet username and password to activate your FirstClass account. If you have any issues, please contact the IT Help Center at 207-581-2506 .
- FirstClass Installation
- FirstClass Tutorials
- Password Troubles – to reset your FirstClass username or password, please contact the IT Help Center at 581-2506.
Accessing your UMaine Accounts
The UMaine portal at http://my.umaine.edu is the quickest way to access all your UMaine accounts at once. It also displays campus announcements and alerts, quick links. You can easily change your password too.