Immigration & Visas for International Students - F-1 Student Regulations
Maintaining F-1 Student Status:
- You must be enrolled full time. Graduate students: at least 6 credits, Undergraduate students: at least 12 credits, IEI: 5 courses
- You must not enroll for more than 3 online credits per semester
- Do not work OFF campus with out authorization from your International Student Advisor and/or the US Immigration Service
- ON campus work is limited to 20 hours per week during the Fall and Spring semesters. During school breaks you can work up to 40 hours.
- Request a “travel signature” on page 3 of your I-20 if you plan to leave the US. The signature is valid for only one year so request a travel signature each year. Without a valid travel signature you may not be allowed in the US.
- Complete your studies by the expiration date of your I-20. If you need additional time request an extension from ISSS staff.
- Complete a change of address form or notify ISSS staff by email within 10 days if you change your address.
- Carry your original passport and I-20 with you, especially when traveling outside the Bangor area.
You can refer to the complete F-1 student regulations for more information but be sure to request assistance from an ISSS advisor before making an important decision. Regulatory language is open to interpretation. You want to be sure that you are following the law as interpreted by the Department of Homeland Security.