Skip Navigation
Return to Layout View | Home | A-Z Directory | MaineStreet | Campus Map | Calendar
Follow UMaine on Twitter | Join UMaine on Facebook | Watch UMaine on YouTube | Admissions | Parents & Family | Apply to UMaine | Give Now | Emergency

International Programs

Site Navigation:

International Students - Health Insurance

All international students at the University of Maine are required to have health insurance for themselves and their dependents. In addition, the U.S. government requires all J-1 scholars and J-2 dependents to have certain levels of insurance.

Why do I need to have health insurance?

We hope you will always be healthy and well. However, in the event that you should have an accident or illness, we want to be sure you get the care you need. American health care is very expensive and you must have appropriate insurance coverage. The University of Maine International Student Medical Insurance Plan is strongly recommended since it has been designed in collaboration with Student Health Services to meet the health care needs of UMaine international students and scholars.

University of Maine Student Medical Insurance Plan

All international students are automatically enrolled in the UMaine International Insurance Plan for the full academic year.  Students who have their own coverage and who do not want to remain enrolled in the University’s insurance plan must complete and submit an Insurance Waiver Form (see forms below to find the waiver). Service is available to assist with claims.

F-1 and J-1 Students

Cross Agency (UMaine’s insurance broker: plan brochure on-line and other information)

J-1 Scholars

Information from the Department of State (Includes insurance requirements)

Supplemental plan for Medical Evacuation and Repatriation of Remains

Exchange students

All exchange students are enrolled automatically in the UMaine International Insurance Plan for the full academic year. If you are an exchange student for only one semester at UMaine, you can adjust the dates of your UMaine insurance coverage by submitting the Temporary Coverage Form. Yearlong exchange students must have health insurance for the full year.

I have my own plan. Can I waive the UMaine Insurance Plan?

If you wish to waive the UMaine plan because you have your own plan, you must submit the Insurance Waiver Form.

Can I have a health insurance for only one semester?

Only exchange students enrolling at UMaine for one semester can have health insurance coverage for less than one year. All other international students must have health insurance for the full year.


Please submit all forms  to by Friday, January 24, 2014. You can also mail forms to University of Maine, Office of International Programs, 5782 Winslow Hall, room 100, Orono, ME 04469-5782

Insurance Waiver Fall 2014

Dependent Enrollment Form 2013-2014

Temporary Coverage Form 2013-2014


Last Modified On March 11, 2014

Image Description: Print Friendly

Back to International Students


Contact Information

International Programs
5782 Winslow Hall, Room 100
Orono, ME 04469-5782
Phone: (207) 581-2905 | Fax: (207) 581-2920E-mail:
The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469
A Member of the University of Maine System