Department of Homeland Security Regulations
As an international student you must be registered full-time to remain in lawful immigration status.
- Undergraduate Full-time registration = twelve (12) or more credits/semester
- Graduate Full-time Registration = six(6) or more credits/semester
- Intensive English Full-time Registration= 5 IEI courses/session.
New International Students
Undergraduate Degree-seeking Students
- The registration process begins once you return your “Enrollment Confirmation Form”.
- First year students are usually automatically pre-registered by their college; transfer students will typically receive an email from their college which suggests courses and provides information on how to register.
- Math Placement Test: If you are an undergraduate you must take the Math Placement Test before you register for the first time. The exam is on the web and should be take as soon as possible to ease your course registration. Your test results are used by your college/school to place you in the appropriate course. Graduate and Exchange students do not need to take the Math Placement Test.
- International Transfer Credit: If you have completed college-level classes at an institution abroad you may request an international transfer credit evaluation. The evaluation is completed AFTER you are accepted and matriculated at the University. Visit the highlighted link for more information on obtaining an evaluation.
- You must meet with your academic adviser before registering for first semester courses.
- After meeting with your academic adviser you will enroll in courses at the Graduate School.
Exchange and Visiting Students
- Prior to your arrival in the US you should communicate with the Assistant Director of Study Abroad who will assist you with your enrollment.
- It is helpful to complete your enrollment as early as possible as some courses fill quickly.
- If you are in a graduate program in the Maine Business School you should contact the Manager of the MBA Programs and Internships for assistance with enrollment.
Intensive English Students
- You will be given an English Language Placement Exam during your orientation at the Intensive English Institute (IEI).
- You will be enrolled in courses by a staff person at the IEI.
You will register for courses in MaineStreet, the student records database.
UMaine has its own languages of abbreviations. Here are a few helpful links as new students get acquainted with the University.
Helpful Information for International Students