Skip Navigation
Return to Layout View | Home | A-Z Directory | my UMaine | MaineStreet | Campus Map | Calendar
Follow UMaine on Twitter | Join UMaine on Facebook | Watch UMaine on YouTube | Admissions | Parents & Family | Apply | Give Now | Emergency

International Programs

Site Navigation:

International Students - Courses & Registration

Department of Homeland Security Regulations

As an international student you must be registered  full-time  to remain in lawful immigration status.

  • Undergraduate Full-time registration = twelve (12) or more credits/semester
  • Graduate Full-time Registration = six(6) or more credits/semester
  • Intensive English Full-time Registration= 5 IEI courses/session.

New International Students

Undergraduate Degree-seeking Students

  • The registration process begins once you return your “Enrollment Confirmation Form”.
  •  First year students are usually automatically pre-registered by their college; transfer students will typically receive an email from their college which suggests courses and provides information on how to register.
  • Math Placement Test:  If you are an undergraduate you must take the Math Placement Test before you register for the first time.  The exam is on the web and should be take as soon as possible to ease your course registration.  Your test results are used by your college/school to place you in the appropriate course.  Graduate and Exchange students do not need to take the Math Placement Test.
  • International Transfer Credit: If you have completed college-level classes at an institution abroad you may request an international transfer credit evaluation.  The evaluation is completed AFTER you are accepted and matriculated at the University.  Visit the highlighted link for more information on obtaining an evaluation.

Graduate Students

  • You must meet with your academic adviser before registering for first semester courses.
  • After meeting with your academic adviser you will enroll in courses at the Graduate School.

Exchange and Visiting Students

  • Prior to your arrival in the US you should communicate with the Assistant Director of Study Abroad who will assist you with your enrollment.
  • It is helpful to complete your enrollment as early as possible as some courses fill quickly.
  • If you are in a graduate program in the Maine Business School you should contact the Manager of the MBA Programs and Internships for assistance with enrollment.

Intensive English Students

  • You will be given an English Language Placement Exam during your orientation at the Intensive English Institute (IEI).
  • You will be enrolled in courses by a staff person at the IEI.

 Current Students

You will register for courses in  MaineStreet, the student records database.


UMaine has its own languages of abbreviations. Here are a few helpful links as new students get acquainted with the University.

Helpful Information for International Students


Last Modified On July 23, 2014

Image Description: Print Friendly

Back to International Students


Contact Information

International Programs
5782 Winslow Hall, Room 100
Orono, ME 04469-5782
Phone: (207) 581-2905 | Fax: (207) 581-2920E-mail:
The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469
A Member of the University of Maine System