International Admission - Undergraduate Admissions
On this Page:
- Applying to the University of Maine
- Applicants from Chinese Universities
- Ways to file an application for admission
- Fact sheet about the application process
- International Student Tuition Scholarship
For Further Information:
- Estimated Annual Expenses for International Students for 2013-2014 (PDF)
- Links to other sources of financial aid
- International First Year Business and Engineering
1. Here you’ll find three easy ways to apply. Whether it’s the International Admission Application (paper version), the Common App or the University of Maine System online application site, UMaine makes applying easy for you. There is an application fee of $40.00US which students can pay online at the time of application or mail to the Office of International Programs if completing the paper application. Please make checks payable to The University of Maine. The Office of International Programs cannot waive application fees.
2. The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is required for students whose first language is not English. A TOEFL score of 550 (paper) or 79 (internet-based), or an IELTS score of 6.5, is required for regular admission.
3. Students must submit official copies of high school transcripts, including a certified English translation. Transfer students must submit official transcripts of all college courses, including certified English translations. Educational records must indicate subjects studied by year, grades or marks earned for each course, and copies of diplomas, certificates of degrees earned.
4. Students must submit financial documentation indicating adequate funds to cover the cost of education. This documentation must be original, certified or notarized, and be less than one year old. Complete financial requirements are in the application package.
5. Health insurance is required. You can may enroll in the University plan for International Students at a reasonable price.
6. Students whose TOEFL score is less than 550 (paper) or 79 (internet-based), or IELTS score less than 6.5, and who have a strong academic record, may be admitted conditionally. Conditionally admitted students enroll in the University’s Intensive English Institute for appropriate English course work until suitable English proficiency is acquired.
7. Suggested application deadline for the Fall Semester is May 15 and for the Spring Semester, November 1. If applying for the tuition scholarship your application must be received by February 1. Applications received after these deadlines will be considered for admission, but you must allow time for visa processing. In some countries it may take several weeks or months to obtain a visa.
The University of Maine welcomes international students. Some 400 international undergraduate and graduate students from over 75 countries are currently enrolled at the University. International applicants can receive an International Admission Application in one of the following ways:
- Download a Fillable Application (908KB): Click here to download a version of the application that can be filled in on your computer using Acrobat Reader 5 or higher. Once completed, print the form, sign it, then mail it to us.
- Download a Printable Application (734KB): Click here to download an application form in Acrobat Reader format (.pdf). The form must be printed and then filled in by hand or on a typewriter. This is the same form as above, but cannot be filled in on your computer. The advantage is that this version is a smaller file and will download more quickly.
- Request a Paper Copy: Contact the Office of International Programs via email firstname.lastname@example.org, by fax (207-581-2920), or by mail:
The University of Maine
Office of International Programs
5782 Winslow Hall, Room 100
Orono, ME 04469 USA
- Complete the Web Form: The above, downloadable forms are the preferred forms to use. If you have trouble downloading, click here to go to a version of the form that can be filled in on your web browser. PLEASE NOTE: This form must be printed, signed and mailed to the University. You cannot submit this, or any version of the application, electronically.
Click here to download the FACT SHEET - a two page overview of the University of Maine, the Office of International Programs and the application process (PDF)
The University of Maine offers a limited number of tuition scholarships in recognition of outstanding academic performance. Awards are made in March for the coming academic year and cover tuition charges only, up to 30 credits per year.
Criteria for Selection:
Scholarships are primarily limited to first time, undergraduate foreign nationals who qualify for the F-1 or J-1 student visa. Award recipients must be enrolled full-time at the University of Maine.
- Academic achievement: high school transcripts, rank in class, GPA, rigor of curriculum, standardized test scores, if available.
- TOEFL score above 550 (paper) or 79 (Internet-based), or IELTS score above 6.5.
- Quality of written essay, which is part of the application
- Diversity as represented by country, field of academic study, and gender. Additional information is available with the full University of Maine application.
How To Apply for the Scholarship
Download the International Tuition Scholarship Application form, complete it and mail it with your International Application. If you choose to request a paper copy of the International Application, the International Tuition Scholarship Application form will be included. Applications must be received by February 1.
You can also print this form and fill it in by hand or on a typewriter.