Skip Navigation

FAQ - General FAQ

I’m a visitor, where can I park?

There are a number of visitor parking places on campus. Some of the visitor parking spaces closest to Corbett Hall are:

  • Corbett Hall parking lot
  • Crossland Hall parking lot
  • Alumni Hall parking lot
  • Behind Steven’s Hall next to the Advanced Manufacturing Center
  • The Bridges Tennis Courts parking lot
  • Jenness Hall north parking lot
  • Jenness Hall south parking lot
  • For a complete map of all parking locations at

Visitors may also obtain fee visitor permits to park elsewhere on campus. Visitor permits are available at:

  • The Student Service Center, 143 Memorial Union. Business hours 7:30 – 4:30, Monday through Friday.
  • Bear Necessities, Alfond Arena. Business hours 8:00 – 4:30, Monday through Friday.
  • The Visitor Center in Buchannan Alumni House. Business hours 8:00 – 4:30, Monday through Friday.
  • UMaine Police Department at 81 Rangeley Rd. Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you are a regular visitor and do not want to stop each time for a no-charge permit, we also offer you the opportunity to purchase a visitor permit for one year. These permits are valid from September 1st through August 31stwith a charge of $50. The price is reduced at the end of each semester.

New Permit Option ( Parking and Transportation Services is now selling packs of 20 one-day parking permits for $20 to be used in Black (Commuter) signed lots. These permits have scratch-off dates, months and years and are valid for one day at a time through 2013. These may be convenient for:

  • regular visitors who don’t want to get a permit each visit,
  • those who have regular meetings on campus,
  • the commuter student who visits campus on rare occasions,
  • the commuter student who takes one class per semester, etc.

Permits are available at 523 DTAV Community Center (directly across from the UMaine Credit Union on Rangeley Rd). Call 581-4047 if you have any questions.

I’m a temp employee, where can I get a parking permit?

Staffing Services in the Office of Human Resources can issue temporary parking permits for temp employees. In addition, the Parking Services web site states, “Temporary Permit: issued for students and employees for up to a 7-day period.  No more than 3 temporary permits will be issued per semester unless otherwise approved by the Parking and Transportation Services Manager.” (see Permits are available at 523 DTAV Community Center (directly across from the UMaine Credit Union on Rangeley Rd). Call 581-4047 if you have any questions.

What holidays does the University observe?

Holiday schedule is available at:

How do I register for classes? Do the classes have to be work related?

Contact the Continuing Education office at 581-3143 or visit their website. Classes do not have to be work related. Employees will be required to make up time missed from work for any classes.

What is my work schedule?

Usual office work hours are from 8am – 4:30pm, but this does not include all positions. Please review your job description and appointment letter or check with your supervisor for your required schedule.

Am I covered by a union contract (“collective bargaining agreement”)?

If your position is within a bargaining unit (even if you are not a dues paying union member) you are covered by a collective bargaining agreement (“union contract”).

I’m “non-represented,” the collective bargaining agreements (“union contracts”) don’t apply to me?

“Non-represented” employees are covered by one of the employee handbooks. These include:


Back to FAQ