Supervisor Development Institute - Overview
- Upon completion of the Institute, you should be able to:
- Understand the function, expectations, responsibilities, and authority of your role as a supervisor.
- Be effective in working with employees.
- Set and achieve goals.
- Communicate more effectively.
- Develop a systematic and logical approach to solving problems and making decisions.
- Manage conflict and build consensus.
- Learn strategies to help develop the skills, knowledge, and abilities of direct reports.
- Establish a plan of self development in technical and managerial areas.
- Become part of a strong network of supervisors who can rely upon each other for support and information.
- To participate in the Institute and receive a certificate of completion, you will be required to:
- Submit a completed application form to Office of Human Resources, 243 Corbett Hall, signed by both you and your supervisor, indicating approval.
- Attend approximately 32 hours of workshops.
- Participate in ongoing reinforcement activities
The Office of Human Resources will track your attendance. Upon successful completion of all the requirements of the UMaine Supervisor Development Institute, you will be awarded a certificate. A copy of this certificate and notification of your successful completion will be placed in your Human Resources personnel file.