Curriculum - Supervising in a Union Environment
The purpose of the Supervising in a Union Environment module is to provide participants with an overview of the role of unions/collective bargaining units, policies pertaining to them, and an understanding of UMaine union contracts and processes, in order to more effectively supervise employees who are unit members.
As a result of participating in the Supervising in a Union Environment module, supervisors will:
- Understand the “big picture” of unions/bargaining units and the role of union stewards, including the University of Maine System Labor Relations Act and “Weingarten” Rights.
- Know which bargaining units exist at UMaine and how they operate with management.
- Become familiar with union contracts.
- Identify the top ten contract questions, including the understanding of “just cause” and grievance.
- Learn strategies to effectively supervise unit members and work with union stewards.