Curriculum - Handling Performance Problems
The purpose of the Handling Performance Problems module is to provide supervisors with an overview of the just cause standard, the role of the supervisor in implementing informal and formal progressive discipline, and to identify and understand the role of collective bargaining agreements and UMaine policies in the discipline process.
As a result of participating in this module, supervisors will:
- Understand the concept of just cause.
- Know the two issues addressed by discipline: poor performance and misconduct.
- Be able to apply the principles/strategies of progressive discipline.
- Learn the appropriate steps in applying employee discipline, and if necessary, termination.
- Have resources and tools to assist in handling performance problems.