Key Steps to Filling a Salaried (Professional) Position Vacancy - Applicant Screening
Your department’s Human Resources Officer (HRO) can assit with developing a Comparative Applicant Rating sheet for use by the Search Committee members as they review the applicants and later through the interview process. Your HRO will also arrange to meet with the Search committee to answer any procedural questions committee members may have. Your HRO will be available throughout the screening process to serve as a resource and collaborative sounding board through the various stages of reviewing the applicants. If you need advice or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact your HRO.
The Screening Process:
- Review screening criteria listed on the Comparative Applicant Rating sheet
- Consult with your HRO before making any changes to the screening criteria
- Apply screening process consistently to all applicants
- Each committee member conducts his/her own evaluation of each candidate
- Search committee chair produces an average or consensus rating for each candidate and develops a final, cumulative comparative applicant rating sheet. This document should incorporate the ratings from each member of the search committee for each phase of the screening process.