Choosing a Finalist - University of Maine Sample Telephone Reference Check Form
Applicant Name: _____________________ Position_______________________
Name of Reference: _____________________ Title/Organization:____________________
Select the questions most relevant to the vacancy:
- In what capacity did you work with the applicant?
- How long did you work with him or her?
- The applicant has stated that he or she has worked for your organization for (time frame) as a (title/role). Is this accurate?
- How would you describe the quality of his/her work?
- What are his or her strongest skills as an employee?
- Weakest skills or skills needing further development?
- How well did he or she take direction?
- How effective was he or she in planning and organizing work assignments?
- How well did he or she get along with others? Students, the public?
- How well did he or she communicate with others? Orally, in writing?
- Do you feel that he or she works better or is more comfortable in a team environment or working as an individual?
- If he or she had supervisory responsibilities, how would you describe his or her supervisory effectiveness?
- How did he or she respond to pressure (e.g. high volume, deadlines, multiple tasks, public contact, other)?
- How did he or she respond to criticism or interpersonal conflict?
- How well did he or she stay on task or complete assignments?
- How much supervision was required for him or her?
- Would you have any concerns about him or her being successful for us in the role he or she has applied for?
- Why did he or she leave the organization?
- Would you rehire him or her? If no, why not?
Reference checked by__________________________ Date:________________
Printable Version (PDF)
Back to Choosing a Finalist