Key Steps to Filling a Hourly (Classified) Position Vacancy - Choosing a Finalist
This stage precedes any communication with the finalist about his/her status in the search or about any pending tentative offer.
- Reference checks:
- If references identified by the finalist are not available or unable to provide an adequate reference about his/her prior job performance, you may ask for names of additional reference(s).
- Please respect a candidate’s wishes about which references should not be checked.
- You may contact other people, other than those listed by the candidate. However, you should contact the candidate before doing so.
- Click here for a sample reference check form.
- Review Comparative Application/Interview Rating Sheet (Excel) with Human Resources Officer (HRO). To prepare for this discussion, consider:
- The role of this job in relation to the department’s mission or efficiency
- Be prepared to summarize the search process and/or quality of the applicant pool
- Length of initial appointment
- Other details related to employment terms and conditions
- Special permissions for required license or certificate
- HRO will make a tentative offer to the finalist after the required background checks and preemployment screening
Back to Key Steps to Filling a Hourly (Classified) Position Vacancy