Policies/Information - University of Maine Financial Conflict of Interest Procedures
In order to comply with the University of Maine System Board of Trustees policy on conflict of interest of a financial nature, the following procedures will be followed:
- All departments entering into leases or contracts on behalf of the University of Maine must go through the Purchasing Department for the negotiation of the terms of the agreements. In this process, the Purchasing Department should be alert for any possibilities of conflict of interest and point these out to the employee(s) involved. Purchasing should not proceed with the negotiations until the possible conflict of interest issue has been resolved.
- When it appears that a material conflict may arise between the personal interest of an employee and his or her responsibilities to the University, the employee shall notify the Chief Financial Officer (or the President if the potential conflict involves the Chief Financial Officer) by submitting a written statement describing the nature of the possible conflict. If an apparent conflict comes to the attention of the Chief Financial Officer or the President, that administrator may request a written statement from the employee.
- If an employee is in doubt as to whether he or she is confronted with a potential conflict of interest, the employee should consult with the Chief Financial Officer (or, in the case of the Chief Financial Officer, with the President) to determine if an actual or perceived conflict of interest involving a personal gain exists.
- The Chief Financial Officer (or President) shall promptly notify the employee in writing that:
- there is no conflict and the employee and/or the Purchasing Department may proceed, or
- there may be a conflict and further consultation is necessary prior to reaching a determination, or
- there is a conflict and the employee and/or the Purchasing Department shall not proceed with the activity which would result in the conflict.
- The employee may appeal the Chief Financial Officer’s decision to the President.
University of Maine, Office of the President, October 2, 1992
For information regarding the process for non-financial conflict of interest issues, contact the Office of Human Resources at 581-1581.
Back to Policies/Information