Policies/Information - Pet Policy
It is recognized that many pets are well behaved and are brought to the campus by responsible persons for safety or convenience. In order to meet the needs of these pet owners while protecting those staff and students who may have allergies or fears which could cause a pet to interfere with that person’s ability to work or study, the following rules will apply when a pet is brought on the property of the University of Maine. (This policy does not apply to service animals brought to campus to provide assistance to persons with disabilities or to residential areas of campus.)
- Normally, pets will not be allowed in University buildings. A person desiring to bring a pet into a building must petition the building manager who will then canvas residents of the building to determine if the pet should be allowed (If pets are allowed in any building under the conditions noted above, the presence of animals in individual offices will be posted prominently.)
- All pets on University property must be kept on leashes except when confined to an office.
- For the safety of both humans and animals, pets are prohibited from kitchens, laboratories, workshops or other areas housing hazardous materials or machinery.
- Pets must not be left unattended while on University property, either in automobiles (for more than a few minutes) or tied outside of buildings.
- Owners of pets shall be held responsible for any personal or property damage inflicted by their pets.
- Owners are reminded that dogs on campus are subject to the Town of Orono dog control ordinances. Dogs violating these ordinances are subject to impoundment by police or-the animal control officer.
- Owners or caretakers of pets must clean up after their pets – both inside buildings and outside on campus property.