Alphabetical List - Separation
- Prevent an employee from being overpaid.
- End a regular employee’s employment, pay and benefits status.
- Confirm the end of a fixed length term of a regular employee.
- End the employment of a temporary salaried employee or graduate assistant before the date specified on the original appointment form.
- Per University policy, the effective date for an employment separation (resignation, retirement, termination, etc.) is the last day worked. Accrued vacation cannot be used to extend the date of separation.
- Use this form to ensure an employee who is no longer working is not overpaid.
- To continue a biweekly temporary employee, contact the appropriate Human Resources Officer.
- Contact the appropriate Human Resources Officer (HRO) for assistance in accomplishing a layoff, soft money cessation, non-reappointment, or discharge action. With all separations, please contact your HRO as soon as possible so that the individual’s last pay check is accurate and any contractual or policy requirements have been met.
- Employees who are leaving University employment may opt to continue existing health insurance coverage. The employee must initiate this process within 30 days of his/her last day of employment.
- At termination, the employee will be paid for any applicable unused or unapproved vacation or comp time. To avoid an overpayment to the employee, as soon as practical, the supervisor should review an employee’s reported time to ensure that all time has been appropriate reported and approved as appropriate.
- The department should maintain personnel files for employees who resign or retire for six years. After six years, the file may be destroyed.
- For employees hired in an H1-B non-immigrant status, the University may have an obligation to pay for the cost of transportation to their home country. Please contact International Programs at 581-3423 for more information.
Form Routing and Approvals
- Actions for a funding cessation (UMPSA soft money employees) or layoffs should be sent to the applicable Vice President.
- Separations involving graduate assistants before the end of their appointment need to be brought to the attention of the graduate school. If the GA had Work Study, the Office of Financial Aid should also be notified.
- Separation forms for regular employees require the signature of:
- Department Head,
- Vice President/Provost (for non-soft money employees)
Back to Alphabetical List