Alphabetical List - Earnings Distribution Form (EDF)
Indicate account distribution changes for an employee’s job components*.
- Each job component* (separate position number or additional pay) must have a distribution.
- All active and future distributions should be funded 100%.
- Both a 10 digit Accounting ID and the corresponding Chartfields must be listed.
- EDFs should be routed so the responsible party for each account can indicate approval.
- Please fill in the requested fields. If a field does not apply to the change you are trying to accomplish, please mark it as N/A (not applicable).
Completing the Form
Critical Points to Successfully Change an Earnings Distribution
If any of the following are missing or incorrect, Payroll will be unable to make the requested change. Payroll will either (1) return the form to the department for correction(s) or (2) charge the department’s regular operating budget. If an EDF is received too late for payroll processing, the department will be notified to initiate a Labor Distribution Adjustment (LDA).
Important information needed for Payroll to process an EDF:
- position number for which the distribution pertains
- assignment’s home department
- appropriate biweekly/monthly box checked
- employee’s name and emplid, and
- valid designated account(s) to fund the entire earnings distribution.
For each account, a start date, end date and percentage must be entered as well as the accounting ID and chartfield combination. Note that the start date should also be at the beginning of a pay period, and the end date should correspond with a pay period end date. All biweekly distributions will begin on a Sunday (except for the initial hire date) and end on a Saturday. 12/31/2099 may be used for the end date of ongoing distributions.
The earnings code only needs to be entered for non-base earnings. Commonly used earnings codes:
Earnings Code Description
- 210 Additional Pay
- 211 / 212 Summer Salary
- 680 Temporary Stipend
- 690 Stipend
- 691 Named/Endowed Stipend
- 640 Graduate Assistant Pay
The following earnings code generated by reporting time will automatically override the chartfield account and an accounting ID does not need to be separately specified:
Earnings Code Description/Account
- 030 Overtime/52011
- 031 Salaried Overtime/51011
- 050 Call Back/52003
- 121-125, 131-135 Shift Differential/52002
For every given start/end date period, 100% funding must be indicated. A placeholder account (such as the departmental E&G) should be listed if the entire 100% funding is not yet in place. At any time, a superseding form can be submitted to correct the future distribution.
Accounting IDs / Chartfields
A 10 digit accounting ID is required for data entry. New numbers should be requested from Budget & Business Services or Sponsored Programs (grant accounts) before submitting the EDF. The corresponding chartfields should always be indicated so the various fields can be easily verified. This will save time for everyone else who views the form from having to translate in one direction or the other.
Please use the comments section for notes to help in approval or understanding the need for a change.
Form Routing and Approvals
An earnings distribution change generally requires at least two levels of administrative approval (the initiating department and the next higher administrative level.) Other approvals that may be required:
- The budget officer responsible for each account impacted by the EDF.
- Jennifer Baker, Sponsored Programs (MEIF, Fund 23)
- Vice President for Research for changes involving MEIF funds (Provost approval is not required); should be routed to Sponsored Programs first.
- Vice President of Academic Affairs and Provost or applicable Vice President for changes to non soft money accounts.