Dear New First-Year Student,
Welcome to UMaine for Fall 2014! We invite you to apply for on-campus housing at this time**. Please note that the University of Maine requires all first-year students to live on campus, except those who are 20 or older, are veterans, or will be commuting from a parent or legal guardian’s home within a 35-mile radius of the campus. If you qualify for an exemption from the First Year Residence Requirement, please go to the online housing application and follow the instructions for requesting an exemption. First-year students may request up to two of the First Year Experience Living/Learning Communities or general FYE housing (no preference). Please go to umaine.edu/reslife/living-learning-communities-2/. Spaces are limited, and incoming students will be assigned based on space eligibility.
To apply for housing for Fall 2014, click on the link below after reading this letter. It will take you to the login for the Fall 2014 housing application. You will log in using your MaineStreet logon and password. **Please be sure you have a phone number listed in the home phone number data field on MaineStreet. This is required before we can pull your information into the application database.
* Apply now – space is limited and you must have an application on file in order to be assigned a room. You may apply for housing even if you have not confirmed admission to UMaine
* When you log in to access the online housing and dining application, please follow all instructions to complete the application
* Mutual roommate requests will be accommodated based upon space availability; however, this may not be possible for the spring semester, as space is limited. Both students must have their applications on file by May 1. We may not be able to accommodate roommate requests after May 1.
* LLC requests will be reviewed by Residence Life staff. Approved requests will be assigned based upon space availability. If you select an LLC, please be sure to complete your request by answering two questions.
* Select a meal plan – for more information on meal plans, go to: umaine.edu/dining/mealplans.
* Select “Continuous Housing” ONLY if you will require housing during the Semester Break from Friday, December 19, 2014 to Sunday, January 11, 2015 and Spring Break from Friday, February 27, 2015 to Sunday, March 15, 2015. Most residence halls close for the Semester Break and Spring Break. Continuous Housing halls do not close for the Semester and Spring breaks.
* are made based on date of application once a student has confirmed admission to the University and on space availability
* will be available after July 1, 2014
* Log into MyHousing to check your assignment at umaine.edu/housing/log-into-myhousing, using your MaineStreet Logon ID and password when the “Check My Assignment” button is visible
Information Regarding Check-in
* New students may check in on Friday, August 29, 2014. Specific check-in times will be sent to students in late summer.
* Classes begin on Tuesday, September 2, 2014.
Students are allowed one 4.0 cubic-foot refrigerator OR one MicroFridge® Combination Appliance per room. Stand-alone microwaves are prohibited. For more information or to rent or buy a MicroFridge®, please go to universitylogistics.net or call (800) 525-7307. For the latest brochure on the MicroFridge, click MicroFridge Brochure 2014.
Students are strongly encouraged to have property insurance for their personal belongings. Comprehensive, affordable property insurance is available through CSI College Student Insurance. For more information and to apply, go to: collegestudentinsurance.com.
Director of Housing & Communications
Apply for on-campus housing for Fall 2014: First-Year Housing Application