Insects, Spiders, Ticks, etc.:
- Search through our Photo Gallery.
- Search by Habitat (where you found it) (for example, “on my roses” or “in my kitchen” etc.)
- Search by Behavior (flying, jumping or crawling).
- Compare your specimen(s) with Frequent Specimens and Inquiries that routinely come in to our Insect Diagnostic Lab each year.
- Maine: Lawns (Got Pests? — Maine.gov)
- Maine: Lowbush Blueberry Barrens and Cranberry Bogs
- Maine State-listed Noxious and Invasive Weeds (USDA-NRCS)
- Weed Herbarium (UMass)
- Weed ID Tool (University of Wisconsin Extension — can select ‘Maine’ from drop-down menu)
- Weed ID Guide (Virginia Tech)
- Insect and Plant Disease Diagnostic Lab
- Plant Disease Fact Sheets
- Plant Disease Photos [photos of not only symptoms, but in many cases, photos of the actual causal organism(s)/pathogen(s) as well].
- Late Blight Fact Sheet (PDF) and Photos / Symptoms
- Late Blight Prediction in Maine (PDF)
Still not sure what you have? Check out our Further Help page. You are also welcomed and encouraged to visit our Insect and Plant Disease Diagnostic Laboratory. There you can find our submission forms [insect or plant] and directions on sending us samples and specimens. Our insect diagnostician, Clay Kirby, also invites the use of e-mail (email@example.com) if you have a quality photo you can send to him as an attachment. Finally, you are always welcome to visit us at 491 College Avenue in Orono, or stop in at your nearest County Extension Office (list of County Offices) and a specimen or sample can be mailed to us from there.