Skip Navigation
Return to Layout View | Home | A-Z Directory | my UMaine | MaineStreet | Campus Map | Calendar
Follow UMaine on Twitter | Join UMaine on Facebook | Watch UMaine on YouTube | Admissions | Parents & Family | Apply | Give Now | Emergency

Student Handbook

Site Navigation:

Policies & Regulations - Student Travel Policy

I. Statement of Philosophy

The University of Maine is the principal research and graduate institution of the State of Maine.  It offers a comprehensive program of undergraduate study that is enriched by the resources of its university setting.  The University recognizes that in order to engage in a full collegiate experience, students can and do benefit from opportunities that exist beyond the campus.  The institution believes that conferences, matches, games, institutes, competitions and certain social and cultural activities add to the student experience at The University of Maine and to their engagement in the richness of the culture of the State of Maine.  It is in support of these beliefs that this policy was conceived.

II. Policy for Student Use of University of Maine Vehicles

The University of Maine regulates the use of vehicles owned or leased by the University of Maine System.  Some regulations within this policy have been taken from the University of Maine Administrative Practice Letter (APL) Number 27, which outlines use standards for all campuses of the University of Maine System.  The Office of Facilities Management maintains The University of Maine’s vehicle fleet and administers its fleet policy.  The full policy is available from the Motor Pool Office in the Service Building on Rangeley Road.  Students utilizing University vehicles must abide by operating guidelines and regulations set forth in the Motor Pool Vehicle-Use Policy and Regulations for University Motor Pool Vehicles policy.

III.  General Regulations for Student Use of University Vehicles

Students, student groups, student clubs, sports clubs, and other recognized student organizations are eligible to utilize University vehicles for University related and sponsored business.  Only drivers approved by the Motor Pool are eligible to operate University of Maine vehicles.  In addition to the regulations outlined in the Motor Pool policy, the following standards must be followed:

IV.  Use of University of Maine Vans

V. Use of Personal Vehicles for group travel

VI. Rented vehicles from businesses other than UMaine Motor Pool

VII.  In the event of an accident while traveling on University of Maine business

A. Policy

  • Under Maine law all accidents involving personal injury or death to a person or apparent property damage of $1,000 or more must be reported to the State or local police department or sheriff’s office and within 48 hours to the Secretary of State on forms provided by the Secretary of State or the above departments.
  • Any accident involving University owned or leased vehicles must be reported to the appropriate campus office as soon as possible and in all cases within 72 hours of the time of the accident.  The driver is responsible for reporting the accident.  The reporting requirement includes the Motor Pool, the student group/club advisor, the Director for Student Organization & Leader Development, and the dean, director, head of the department, or faculty member signing the travel request form.
  • Any student with an “at fault” accident may not drive a University vehicle until completion of a Maine State certified Driving Dynamics course.  Proof of successful course completion will be required.
  • The sponsoring student club, organization or department is responsible for covering the University’s deductible, currently $250, for any physical damage to a vehicle beyond normal wear and tear.  Financial responsibility and disciplinary action may result from damages to a vehicle caused intentionally or by misuse of the vehicle.
  • Student disciplinary procedures as appropriate may arise as a result of violations of this policy.

B. Procedure in the event of an accident

  • Stop immediately.  Do not move anyone injured unless their life is in danger and it is absolutely necessary.  If there is an immediate hazard within your power to correct it, correct it.  If it is not within your power to correct, report it to someone who can – immediately.
  • Take all reasonable steps to protect University property from further damage after an accident.
  • Do what is necessary to prevent further damage or accident at the scene.
  • Each University vehicle contains within it a Driver’s Accident Report form and an insurance card summarizing the University’s liability insurance.
  • Call 911, notify Dispatcher if an ambulance or doctor is needed.  Ask for police so that an accident report may be filed.  Provide the facts requested regarding the accident.
  • When dealing with the responding law enforcement officials, get name, phone number, and address of each witness; state facts (not feelings) such as your name, address, school, club you are representing, your advisor, and upon request show your driver’s license, vehicle registration, and insurance card; don’t argue, be courteous; make sure you get the following information from others at the scene.
  • Registration information for other vehicle(s) including owner’s name, license plate number, expiration date, and state, and vehicle identification number (VIN).
  • Information on the other driver(s) including name, address, phone number, and operator’s license number and expiration date including the issuing state.
  • Name, address, and phone number of the company insuring the other vehicle(s).
  • Name, address, and phone number of each person involved and extent of injury, if any.
  • General information such as location (i.e., city, state, street name, intersection, etc.), time, road conditions, weather, property damage and estimated damage to other vehicles.
  • A review will be conducted by the University after every accident.  Findings of the review may affect a student’s or student organization’s ability for future travel.

C. Procedure in the event of a breakdown requiring major repairs

  • Contact the Motor Pool Garage Supervisor at 581-2645 during regular business hours.
  • After hours call Public Safety at 581-4040.

VIII. Pre-Travel Procedures for Student Travel

Last Revised/Approved: March 2003

Back to Policies & Regulations


Contact Information

Student Handbook
5748 Memorial Union
Orono , ME 04469-5748
Phone: (207) 581-1406 | Fax: (207) 581-4215
The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469
A Member of the University of Maine System