Skip Navigation
Return to Layout View | Home | A-Z Directory | MaineStreet | Campus Map | Calendar
Follow UMaine on Twitter | Join UMaine on Facebook | Watch UMaine on YouTube | Admissions | Parents & Family | Emergency

First Year Experience

Site Navigation:

Educational Resources - Glossary of Common UMaine Terms

A B C D E  F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Academic Advisor

An individual who helps students map out their academic plans, select courses, and adhere to academic regulations. Students are assigned an academic advisor for each major they have declared. Many academic advisors are faculty members, however the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and the College of Education and Human Development both have general advising centers with non-faculty advisors. Students typically meet with their academic advisors at least once per semester, and are required to meet with them to obtain their Enrollment PIN, which is necessary to register for classes on MaineStreet.

Check the right side of your Mainestreet Student Center page to find out who your academic advisor is. Note that students with multiple majors or minors may have multiple advisors.

Back to Top

Academic Integrity

Academic Integrity is based upon honesty. All students are expected to be honest in their academic endeavors. All academic work should be performed in a manner that will provide an honest reflection of the knowledge and abilities of each student. Any breach of academic honesty is regarded as a serious offense by all members of the academic community. As per the University of Maine System’s Student Code of Conduct, cheating and plagiarism can result in failing an assignment, failing a class, or dismissal from the University of Maine.

Back to Top

Academic Department

An academic subsection of a college or school. Students are each enrolled in an academic college (College of Engineering, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, etc.) but also, once they’ve declared a major, have an academic department (Civil Engineering, Psychology, Anthropology, etc.).

Back to Top

Academic Probation

Students are placed on academic probation following a semester in which his/her cumulative GPA falls below 2.0. A student on probation who does not raise his/her cumulative GPA to at least a 2.0 after one semester of probationary status may face academic suspension. Typically, once a student is placed on probation, he/she will receive a letter from their academic college, which will outline the terms of the student’s academic probation.

Back to Top

Academic Recovery Program (ARP)

The Academic Recovery Program is a pass/fail course for first-year students who achieve a 1.5 or lower GPA during their first semester at UMaine. Students will be required to attend a weekly or bi-weekly seminar class, during which they will learn about academic success skills (time management, study skills), as well as about academic support services provided on campus. Students also must meet with their seminar instructor individually over the course of the semester, and must meet attendance requirements for all of their classes during the same semester. If a student fails the ARP seminar course, he/she will automatically be suspended from the university for the coming semester. Click here for more information on the Academic Recovery Program.

Back to Top

Academic Support Coordinator (ASC)

Academic Support Coordinators are part-time  graduate-level students who live in the residence halls and help students develop academic success skills. ASCs meet with students who need assistance in managing their time, developing good study habits, and taking tests. ASCs can also assist students who are looking for academic support services on campus, who are exploring options for majors, or who have issues or questions about academic policies, administrative practices, financial aid, and much more.

Back to Top

Academic Suspension

Academic suspension indicates that a student is separated from the University of Maine for a minimum of one semester. A student must file an application for readmission. Suspension is the usual action when a student fails to make normal progress toward graduation, and can be a result of not improving the cumulative GPA to above 2.0 while on academic probation.

Back to Top

Add a Class

The University of Maine allows students to add courses at any time from the first day of a student’s eligible Enrollment Period through the fifth day of classes each semester. This can be done through the class registration feature in MaineStreet.

Back to Top

Adjunct Professor/Adjunct Instructor

A professor or instructor who typically works part-time or does not hold a long-term contract.

Back to Top

Alfond Arena

The Alfond Arena opened in 1977 and is home to many athletic groups such as the ice hockey team. It is a 5,124-seat multi-purpose arena.

Back to Top

Androscoggin Hall

One of the first-year residence halls, which is open to first-year students only.

Back to Top

Aroostook Hall

One of the second-year experience residence halls,which is open to second-year students only. The fourth floor of Aroostook Hall houses the CHOICE Housing Community, for students who lead a chem-free lifestyle.

Back to Top

Assistant Community Coordinator (ACC)

Assistant Community Coordinators are part-time graduate-level students who live in the residence halls and assist the Community Coordinators in the management of the residence halls. Students living in the residence halls may meet with their ACC to discuss a variety of issues or concerns, including: roommates, community concerns, campus and community involvement, conduct issues, and more.

Back to Top

Attendance Policy

Most courses have a maximum number of class sessions allowed to be missed. If you miss more than this, you could automatically fail the course. Check the syllabus for each of your courses to see details about the attendance policy, as it may be different for each course.

Back to Top



Bachelor of Arts. Most humanities and some sciences fall under this category, depending on the curriculum.

Back to Top


Bachelor of Science. Most hard sciences, such as physics, biology, and geology fall under this category, depending on curriculum.

Back to Top

Bachelor’s Degree

A degree typically achieved with the equivalent of four years of full-time study.

Back to Top

Balentine Hall

Along with Colvin and Penobscot Halls, Balentine is one of three campus residence halls that house students who are enrolled in the Honors College.

Back to Top


Bananas the black bear has been the mascot of the University of Maine since 1914.

Back to Top


Bangor Area Transportation. This public bus picks up in the traffic circle outside of the Memorial Union and stops in places such as Old Town, Veazie, the Bangor Mall, and Downtown Bangor. Students ride free with their MaineCard!

Back to Top

Bear Bucks

University of Maine currency that is tied to your MaineCard. You can add money using cash or a credit/debit card at kiosks in places such as the Memorial Union, Wells Commons, and Hilltop Commons. You can also add funds using BlackBoard. Bear Bucks can be used for things such as printing, copying, and making purchases at various campus venues.

Do not confuse Bear Bucks with Dining Funds, as Dining Funds can ONLY be used at Black Bear Dining locations (Markets, Commons, Oakes Room, Bear’s Den, etc.). When you are adding funds to your card make sure you add them to the correct account.

Back to Top


A web-based tool that provides a means of communication between class members and faculty. This tool provides discussion boards, on-line examinations, assignments, and other information. You can also use BlackBoard to add Bear Bucks or Dining Funds to your MaineCard. The username and password for BlackBoard is the same as your “” username and password (without the “”).

Back to Top

Bodwell Center for Service and Volunteerism

The Bodwell Center for Service and Volunteerism coordinates and promotes community service projects including the First Year Day of Service, which occurs during the first weekend of the school year, and Maine Day, which occurs on the last Wednesday of April. The Bodwell Center is located on the upper floor of the Memorial Union.

Back to Top


A one-stop-shop for all your academic needs. The UMaine Bookstore is located on the lower floor of the Memorial Union and sells textbooks, school supplies, clothing and novelty items with UMaine logos, toiletries, and more. The Computer Connection is located inside the UMaine Bookstore and sells various technology needs, including computers, flashdrives, and more.

Back to Top


A period of time during which classes are not in session. Short breaks include October Break and Thanksgiving Break where residence halls remain open, but dining services are limited. Longer breaks include Winter Break and Spring Break, where residence halls (except Knox Hall, York Hall, and DTAV/Patch) are closed and all dining Commons are closed. The Marketplace is open with limited hours and services.

Back to Top

Bursar’s Office

The Bursar’s Office is where you go to pay your bill or make inquiries about your bill, and is located on the first floor of Alumni Hall, which is on the Mall.

Back to Top


Career Center

The Career Center’s mission is to empower UMaine students to identify and reach their goals. This mission is a collaborative effort between our staff, students, faculty, employers, and alumni. The Career Center manages CareerLink, career counseling, helps with finding internships, resume workshops, interview help, and offers personality inventories such as Myers-Briggs Type Indicator.

Back to Top

Community Coordinator (CC)

Community Coordinators are full-time professional staff members who live in the residence halls and manage up to three campus residence halls. CCs also work closely with the ACCs, ASCs, and RAs to provide a wide array of support services to students who are living on campus. Students may see their CC for a variety of reasons, including: roommate issues, community concerns, learning about campus and community involvement, conduct issues, and much more.

Back to Top

Chair/Department Chair

The chair is the leader of an academic department and usually reports to the Dean of their particular college. Some academic requests require permission from the department chair. For example, if you wish to change your major or minor you will need the signature of the department chair.

Back to Top

Class Registration

This is the process of selecting classes in November and March for the following semester. This is done through MaineStreet and requires an enrollment PIN that you can only get through your academic advisor.

Back to Top


An interactive handheld tool used in some classes to mark attendance and to participate in in-class surveys. Clickers can be purchased at the Bookstore at the beginning of each semester.

Back to Top


An academic sub-section of the university. The University of Maine has 7 colleges: College of Education and Human Development, College of Engineering, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, College of Natural Sciences, Forestry, and Agriculture, Honors College, College of Business, and the Graduate School.

Back to Top

Colvin Hall

Along with Balentine and Penobscot Halls, Colvin Hall is one of three campus residence halls that are open to students who are enrolled in the Honors College. Colvin Hall is also home to the main office for the Honors College. If students have questions about the Honors College, Honors curriculum, or Honors classes, they should stop by Colvin during regular business hours.

Back to Top


Another term for a dining hall. UMaine features three commons- York, Hilltop and Wells- where residential student meal plans can be used.

Back to Top

Community Standards, Rights & Responsibilities, Office of (OCSRR)

An office within the Division of Student Life that promotes personal responsibility through educational outreach to the University community and the enforcement of the Student Conduct Code through educational interventions. Students who violate the Student Code of Conduct will be required to meet with a hearing officer from OCSRR.

Back to Top


A group of 2-3 residence halls managed by one Community Coordinator.

Back to Top

Complex Office

The central office for each residential complex where the CC and ACC’s offices are located.

Back to Top


The focus of a student’s academic program or advanced study in a specific subject or field. Some majors require a specific concentration; for instance, students majoring in Psychology may concentrate in Biological Psychology, Cognitive Psychology, Abnormal/Social Psychology, or Developmental Psychology.

Back to Top

Courtesy Hours

All residence halls have a 24-hour courtesy hours policy. This policy essentially states that students who are living in the residence halls should be mindful of the effects of their noise level on nearby neighbors. If a student is approached by another student who asks him/her to lower their noise level, that student should respond by doing so immediately, regardless of the time of day or the day of the week.

Back to Top


A unit that gives weighting to the value, level or time requirements of an academic course. A typical undergraduate course is worth 3 credits. Lab-based course are typically worth 4 credits due to the additional work required by the lab component.

Back to Top

Credit Hour

Typically, the number of credits a class is worth equates to how many hours per week a student will be in that class. A class that is worth 3 credits will typically be scheduled for 3 hours per week.

Back to Top

Cubby, The

The Cubby is the on-campus student mailing services office. All packages that are too big to fit into residence hall mailboxes are sent to the Cubby, which is located in the Memorial Union. Residential students who are expecting a package to be delivered to campus will receive an email alert when their package has arrived at The Cubby and can be picked up. Other services offered at The Cubby include outgoing USPS mail and stamp sales.

Back to Top

Cumberland Hall

One of the first-year residence halls, which is open to first-year students only.

Back to Top


The subjects and classes comprising a particular field of study. Each major, minor or program of study has a correlated curriculum, which outlines exactly what a student must do in order to graduate with the corresponding degree. To find your curriculum, visit the UMaine Catalog.

Back to Top

Cutler Health Center

Cutler Health Center is UMaine’s on-campus medical facility. Run by Eastern Maine Medical Center, Cutler offers non-emergency services such as immunizations, labs, physical exams, and women’s exams. Regular walk-in hours are Monday-Friday 10am-3pm. Summer walk-in hours are Monday-Thursday 11am-3pm and Friday 10am-1pm.

Back to Top



Each Dean heads up a unit at the University.  Each academic college (College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, College of Engineering) as well as the Division of Student Life are chaired by a Dean who oversees all of the operations within that college.

Back to Top

Dining Funds

A declining balance of funds that come with some meal plans. Dining funds can be used at any Black Bear Dining facility, such as the Marketplace, the Oakes Room in Fogler Library, the Bear’s Den, and any of the mini-markets inside the dining commons. By using Dining Funds instead of cash or a credit card, you can save up to 12% off of food and drink items.

To add dining dollars to your MaineCard, you can visit one of the MaineCard kiosks located in Hilltop Commons, Wells Commons, or the main floor of the Memorial Union using cash or a credit/debit card. You can also add funds on the MaineCard tab of BlackBoard once you have logged into your account.

Back to Top

Disability Support Services

This office works with all students who have short or long-term disabilities for which they may need additional support. DSS works closely with faculty and staff members in many other departments to create appropriate support structures to meet individual student needs. Accommodations may include housing or dining plans, transportation assistance to and from classes, additional testing time, mentoring, and more. Students who had an IEP or 504 plan in high school should contact DSS proactively to see what accommodations may be offered at UMaine.

Back to Top

Doris Twitchell Allen Village & Patch Residence Halls (DTAV/Patch)

DTAV and Patch are on-campus apartment units that are open to students with junior and senior standing only. Apartment units include a kitchen, bathroom and 1-4 individual or double bedrooms. Students living in DTAV/Patch are not required to have meal plans.

Back to Top

Drop a Class

Classes can be dropped with a refund up until the 10th day of classes each semester. Before dropping a class, make sure you do not drop below 12 credits for Financial Aid purposes, or 9 credits for the purpose of keeping on-campus housing. You can drop a class using the Registration tab on MaineStreet.

Back to Top



All degree programs require a minimum number of credits to graduate (typically around 120 credits). However, the required courses for the degree may total less than the total credits required to graduate. Therefore, the student should plan to take additional elective courses to complete the minimum credit requirement for graduation. Elective courses may be of any type, from any area of the university and do not have to be related to the student’s field of study. For instance, a Psychology major may choose to take an elective in French or Environmental Studies.

Back to Top

Emergency Alert System

The system used at UMaine to send out informational messages about emergencies on or near campus. If the student is using FirstClass, a message will pop up when there is an emergency on or near campus. This is an automated system and does not require special registration. Campus community members may also choose to register their cell phones to receive automated text alerts. Lastly, an audible siren may also sound on campus in the event of an emergency. When the audible alarm is sounded, campus community members should check FirstClass, the UMaine webpage or their text alerts for more information about what they should do (go inside, leave campus, be on alert, etc.).

Back to Top

Enrollment Period

The time period in which students are able to enroll in classes for the upcoming semester. To find your enrollment period, log into the Student Center on MaineStreet. Your Enrollment period should be listed just below your To-Do list on the right side of the page.

Back to Top


Students who are unsure of which major they would like to pursue when they begin at UMaine can elect to be part of this introductory program. In this program each student takes a weekly seminar where they learn about campus resources, learning strategies, time management, and the many programs and majors offered at UMaine. Students will also have the opportunity to meet with the seminar instructor several times over the course of the semester on an individual basis to discuss the student’s academic interests.

Back to Top


Faculty Member

An umbrella term used to refer to a professor or class instructor.

Back to Top

Finals Week

The last week of each semester, when most final exams are held. The day, time, and location for finals may be different from your regularly scheduled class sessions. To see your final exam schedule, go to your Student Center in MaineStreet and select the “other academic…” drop-down box. Then click “Exam Schedule”.

Back to Top

Financial Aid

Any form of funds given to a student for educational purposes is called financial aid. Financial aid can come in the form of loans (federal or private), scholarships, grants, and Federal Work Study. Students who wish to receive federal financial aid need to fill out and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year for the upcoming academic year. Students are not required to accept any or all of the aid that is granted to them, thus UMaine strongly encourages each student to submit a FAFSA regardless of whether the student expects to need the aid. Better to be safe than sorry!

Back to Top

Financial Aid Office

The office that serves as the contact point for all student financial aid information. The Financial Aid Office is located in Wingate Hall. In order for a parent/family member to contact Financial Aid with questions or concerns about a student’s financial aid package, the student must submit a Student Consent to Release Information Form.

Back to Top


UMaine’s communications system which provides all students with the ability to communicate and share information via email, conferencing, directories, individual and shared calendars and online chats. Many online classes are taught through FirstClass. This account is different from your “” email address, and thus requires a different login and password. If you have not yet set up your FirstClass account, click here to do so. If you are having issues with FirstClass, click here for assistance.

Back to Top

First Year Center (FYC)

The First Year Center is home to the First Year Experience staff members, and is located on the ground floor of Androscoggin Hall. Both first-year students and their parents/families may contact the FYC with any questions or concerns about the First Year Experience, campus services and support structures for first-year students, or concerns about particular first-year students.

Back to Top

First Year Experience (FYE)

The First Year Experience is the overarching program that works to connect first-year students to the University of Maine campus and to their peers, while also helping first-year students to be academically successful. The FYE is based out of the First Year Center.

Back to Top

First Year Residence Requirement (FYRR)

The University of Maine believes that residence hall living is an educational opportunity that all new students should experience. On-campus residence is required for all newly admitted first-year students who are: aged 20 or younger; do not live with a parent or legal guardian within easy commuting distance of the campus (35 miles); are not student veterans; and do not have exceptional circumstances that prevent them from meeting this requirement. The First Year Residence Requirement is part of the Room and Board License.

Back to Top

Fogler Library

Maine’s largest Library, Fogler is located on the Mall, next to the Memorial Union. Printing and copying services are available here with your MaineCard. The first floor is home to the computer lab, the Oakes Room, and the reading resource room, which is great for group work. The second floor is home to the Presidents Room and is great for quiet study. The third floor has strict noise policies and is a great study location for students who like to study in complete silence.

Fogler Library hours are Monday-Thursday 7:30am-Midnight, Friday 7:30am-10:00pm, Saturday 10:00am-6:00pm, and Sunday 10:00am-Midnight. Summer and break hours may be different.

Back to Top


The Foundations program provides students who do not meet the academic standards for their chosen major an opportunity to begin taking classes at the University of Maine on an academic contract with a restricted class schedule. Students cannot apply to this program but are referred by Admissions staff.

Back to Top


Gannett Hall

One of the first-year residence halls, which is open to first-year students only.

Back to Top

General Education Requirement (Gen. Ed./GER)

All UMaine students must complete a set of general courses outside of the courses required for their individual major. These requirements ensure that all students are getting a well-rounded education, by requiring all students to take minimum requirements in: math, english, science, ethics, the arts, and the humanities. Click here for a GenEd Requirement worksheet. To see which GenEd requirements you still need to fulfill, go to your Student Center in MaineStreet and click on “View Degree Progress Report”.

Back to Top

Grade Point Average (GPA)

A number-based grading system, typically used in colleges and universities. A semester GPA is calculated by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of credit hours attempted, within that single semester. The cumulative GPA is calculated by dividing the total number of grade points earned in all semesters by the total number of credit hours attempted in all semesters. A GPA may range from a 0.0 to a 4.0.

Back to Top


A form of Financial Aid . Unlike loans, educational grants do not need to be repaid.

Back to Top

Guest Policy (for residence halls)

Students should feel as if they can welcome a guest to their room for a visit. Prior to any guest visiting a resident’s room, the resident should discuss the time frame of the visit and expectations of such a guest with their roommate(s). Out of fairness, no student may refuse to allow their roommate to have guests and then expect to have guests over themselves. No guest can remain in the student room for longer than 2 consecutive nights in any given week. A guest may also not stay for two nights every week. Guests should be escorted through the halls by their hosting resident and are expected to follow all university/residence hall policies. All guests are required to use the appropriate restrooms, based on their sex, while in the residence halls. Hosting residents are responsible for their guest’s behavior, particularly when their guest is a not a UMaine student.

Back to Top


Hancock Hall

One of the second-year experience residence halls,which is open to second-year students only.

Back to Top

Hart Hall

One of the second-year experience residence halls,which is open to second-year students only.

Back to Top

Health & Safety Inspections

Inspections to ensure that all residential rooms on campus are within policy and fire regulation. These are performed at least four times per year, and are typically scheduled right before or during breaks.

Back to Top

Hilltop Commons

A dining hall located on the upper floor of the Hilltop building. Hilltop is located adjacent to Knox Hall, Oxford Hall, and Somerset Hall.

Back to Top


Holds are applied to student accounts for various reasons and prevent students from registering for classes, receiving  official transcripts, or even graduating. Holds can be placed on an account due to an overdue bill, missing immunization records, or suspension or dismissal from UMaine.

To have a hold removed, students should contact:

Back to Top

Housing Contract/Room and Board License

A housing contract is an academic year-long agreement between a student and the University of Maine. This contract needs to be signed to be eligible for on-campus housing. Canceling a housing contract after moving into a residence hall, but before the end of the academic year, can result in large penalty fees. Due to the First Year Residence Requirement, first year students are not allowed to break this contract to move off-campus.

Back to Top



Proof of some types of vaccinations (shots) are required for enrollment at UMaine. Immunization records must be mailed to: Immunization Records Shared Processing Center, PO Box 412, Bangor, ME 04402-0412. Or the records can be sent by fax to: 207.561. 3430.

Back to Top


A college-level teacher who is not a professor.

Back to Top


Kennebec Hall

One of the second-year experience residence halls,which is open to second-year students only. The top two floors of Kennebec Hall house new, incoming transfer students as part of the Transfer Student Program.

Back to Top

Knox Hall

One of the first-year residence halls, which is open to first-year students only. Knox Hall is open through the academic year, including over winter and spring breaks when other residence halls are closed.

Back to Top


Lab (class)

Most lab classes are supplemental to a larger lecture course, and include practical application of information learned in a lecture. Lab classes usually meet once per week in small groups. For instance, students taking Biology 100 will attend a large lecture three times per week and a smaller lab class section once per week, where they will work in small groups on projects that relate to course material learned in the lectures.

Back to Top

Leave of Absence

Undergraduate students in good academic standing and who have no financial indebtedness to the University may request a leave of absence from the University for up to two semesters. Students returning from leave normally are required to return to the college in which they were enrolled when the leave began. Students must obtain approval for a leave of absence the semester prior to the desired leave. Students desiring a leave of absence should contact the Dean of their college.

Back to Top


A class where the professor or instructor teaches and the students take notes. Unlike a seminar
class, lecture classes have little class or group discussion.

Back to Top


One piece of Financial Aid, loans are money that can be borrowed from a bank or lender and need to be repaid.

Back to Top

          Subsidized Loan

Loans that accrue little-to-no interest while the student is enrolled full-time in school.

Back to Top

          Unsubsidized Loan

Loans that do accrue interest even while the student is enrolled full-time in school.

Back to Top


Maine Bound

The Maine Bound Adventure Center is a converted barn next to the Memorial Union that features a 32′ climbing tower, 45′ long x 12′ high bouldering wall, classroom space, and an outdoor recreation area for volleyball, barbeques, and picnics. It is the primary outdoor program on campus offering adventure trips, gear rentals, indoor rock climbing, and a full low and high ropes challenge course.

Click here for more information about Maine Bound.

Back to Top


This is your student ID. You need to have your MaineCard to do laundry, borrow library books, use printing and photocopying services, enter your residence hall and room, and make purchases with Dining Funds
or Bear Bucks.

Back to Top


Online software that allows students and staff to access and manage their academic and financial records, all in one easy-to-use site. In MaineStreet, you can add and drop courses, view account balances, check your course schedule, make an account payment, browse your student records, and enter work hours for your on-campus job. The username and for MaineStreet is the same as your “” username and password (without the “”).

Click here to access MaineStreet.

If you are having trouble logging in or using MaineStreet, click here for assistance.

Back to Top


A specific area of study. Students take most of their courses within their major during their college career that leads to a degree. Students must declare a major before the end of their fourth semester.

Click here for a full list of majors at UMaine.

Back to Top


The large grassy area in front of the Fogler Library. Many events such as the Annual President’s Dinner are hosted here.

Back to Top

May Term

Short, intensive courses taught during the last three weeks of May, after the official academic year ends.

Back to Top

Medical Single

Medical singles are single rooms in residence halls that are reserved only for residents with extreme medical conditions that require them to live without a roommate. All requests for medical singles must go through Disability Support Services.

Back to Top

Medical Withdrawal

A student with an illness or medical condition that significantly interferes with his or her ability to attend classes may be eligible for a medical withdrawal.

Back to Top

Memorial Union

The central hub for campus. Here you can find the Division of Student Affairs, the Marketplace, Bear’s Den, the Bookstore, the Cubby, and more. The Memorial Union is located adjacent to the Fogler Library and is where the BAT Bus pickup is.

Back to Top


An area of study that usually only requires 15-21 credits. Minors can be pursued in most academic areas and usually complement the major, but not always.

Back to Top

Morse Field

10,000-seat multi-purpose stadium. Home to the University of Maine Black Bears football team.

Click here for the Athletics web site.

Back to Top


Oak Hall

Housing for upperclass students. Oak Hall is located next to Wells and is part of the H2O Complex.

Click here for more information about Oak Hall.

Back to Top

Office of Multicultural Student Affairs (OMSA)

A space where people of all races, ethnicities, and colors can feel welcomed and appreciated. Through a sense of community, OMSA encourages and educates others about the significance and contributions of everyone, regardless of heritage. OMSA can be found on the third floor of the Memorial Union.

Click here for the OMSA Facebook page.

Click here for more information about OMSA.

Back to Top

Online Class

Some courses are taught entirely online, through web tools such as BlackBoard or FirstClass. Online classes are good for students who live a long distance from campus and cannot easily commute every day.

Because of the nature of online classes, it is not recommended that first year students take any their first semester.

Click here for more information about online classes.

Back to Top

Oxford Hall

Housing for first year students, located in the Hilltop Quad at the corner of Rangeley Road and Long Road. Oxford Hall is coupled with Somerset Hall to create the SOX Complex.

Click here for more information about Oxford Hall.

Oxford Hall Facebook page.

Back to Top


Penobscot Hall

Housing for first year and honors students located on the South end of campus. Penobscot Hall is partnered with Balentine Hall and Colvin Hall to create the BCeP Complex.

Click here for more information about housing at UMaine.

Click here for the Honors Housing Facebook page.

Back to Top


Personal Identification Number. An Enrollment PIN is required to register for classes using MaineStreet. You can only obtain your PIN from your academic advisor, and without it, you cannot register for classes.

Back to Top


A teacher of the highest academic rank at a college or university who has been awarded the title Professor in a particular branch of learning. Professors typically have to complete the highest degree in their field- usually a doctorate (PhD).

Back to Top



The outside space between a group of residence halls is referred to as a quad. Quad space is available for residential programs, recreation, and leisure.

Back to Top

Quiet Hours

Typically, Quiet Hours are as follows: Sunday-Thursday 10:00pm-7:00am the following morning, Friday and Saturday nights 12:00 Midnight-7:00am the following morning. During quiet hours, noise level is restricted to an acceptable atmosphere for study and sleep. During quiet hours, noise should not be heard outside of a student’s door or in adjacent rooms where others may be disturbed. Stereos, video games, and televisions should be at a lower volume so not to be heard outside of the student room or from open windows.

Courtesy Hours are in effect at all times, regardless of time or day.

Quiet hours may be different during the few weeks before Finals Week.

Back to Top


Rainbow Resource Center (RRC)

This drop-in resource center for LGBT students and allies features a lending library of books and films available to the campus community. Those interested in learning more about LGBT issues can utilize the Rainbow Resource Center. You can find the RRC on the main floor of the Memorial Union near the Information Center.

Click here for more information on the RRC and LGBT Services.

Back to Top

Rec Center

The New Balance Student Recreation Center is located on Hilltop Road and is home to a recreational pool and hot tub, an indoor track, a large open basketball floor, an indoor arena, racquetball courts, weights and cardio exercise equipment, and rooms for group fitness classes.

Click here for more information about the Rec Center, including hours.

Back to Top


Recitations supplement lectures; the leader will often review the lecture, expand upon the concepts covered, and carry on a discussion with the students. Teacher’s Assistants typically teach recitations.

Back to Top

RA- Resident Assistant

RAs are upperclass student leaders who live on floors with other students. Their primary purposes are to build a community within a particular floor and residence hall, ensure the health and safety of the students in their community, and connect students to campus resources as needed.

Click here to find out how you can be an RA.

Back to Top

Room & Board

This refers to the cost for a residence hall room and a meal plan through Black Bear Dining. With the exception of those who live in DTAV/Patch with full kitchens, all students are required to have on campus meal plans.

Back to Top

Rumble on the Hill

A competition between all FYE residence halls in the form of a series of large-scale events over the course of the first six weeks of fall semester. Students can earn points for their residence hall by attending and participating in events. Past events have included Club Quad, Roommate Roulette, Pizapalooza, and Trivia Night.

Click here for more information about the Rumble on the Hill.

Back to Top



Financial Aid given to students. Scholarships can be merit-based (for students who demonstrate academic excellence) or need-based (for students who demonstrate sufficient financial need).

Back to Top

Second Year Experience (SYE)

Second Year Experience is the overarching program that works to support second-year students as they continue to develop their academics and career interests.

Click here more information about SYE.

Back to Top


Half of an academic year, usually about 15 weeks of classes. Fall semester usually goes from September-December and Spring semester goes from January -May. Most classes last one semester.

Back to Top


A seminar is a type of class that is usually much smaller than a lecture and can include group discussions and projects.

Back to Top

Snow Day

A day when classes, activities, and events are canceled due to inclement weather. If you are signed up for the UMaine Emergency Alert, you will receive a text message to let you know when it is a snow day.

Back to Top

Somerset Hall

Housing for first year students, located in the Hilltop Quad at the corner of Rangeley Road and Long Road. Somerset Hall is coupled with Oxford Hall to create the SOX Complex.

Click here for more information about Somerset Hall.

Somerset Hall Facebook page

Back to Top

Student Affairs

A large division within the university that deals with all non-academic student support services.

Click here for more information about the Division of Student Affairs.

Click here for the Division of Student Affairs Facebook page.

Back to Top

Student Code of Conduct

It is the purpose of the University of Maine System Student Code of Conduct to promote the pursuit of activities that contribute to the intellectual, ethical, and physical development of the individuals under the auspices of the University of Maine System and the individual campuses. It is also the purpose of this code to ensure the safety of persons engaging in those pursuits; to protect the free and peaceful expression of ideas; and to assure the integrity of various academic processes.

In short, it is a contract all students must abide by for the entire duration of their time at UMaine.

Back to Top

Student Wellness Resource Center (SWRC)

The SWRC offers students opportunities to look at personal behaviors and options to choose healthy lifestyles, grounded in moderation and the acceptance of personal responsibility for action. The SWRC sponsors many events such as the Healthy High 5k/10k race, wellness fairs, and more. You can find the SWRC on the main floor of the Memorial Union.

Click here for more information about the SWRC.

Back to Top

Summer Classes

Courses taken during the summer.

Back to Top


An outline and summary of topics to be covered in a course. faculty members, are required to give students a course syllabus in the beginning of the semester. Information that can typically be found on a syllabus includes a tentative schedule for the semester, books and other materials that are required for the course, the faculty member’s contact information and office hours, the Attendance Policy, and how coursework will be graded. This is an implied contract between yourself and the faculty member teaching the class, so be sure to read this for every class you have!

Back to Top



The name of the Internet server the University of Maine system uses. You will need to log in using your MaineStreet ID and password. Any guests need to use the “UMS-Guest” server.

Back to Top


A document that shows a student’s degree progress, including all grades for all courses taken as well as the cumulative GPA and GPA for each semester. You can view an unofficial transcript on MaineStreet or request an official transcript from the Office of Student Records.

Back to Top


The cost for your courses. Do not get tuition confused with room & board.

Back to Top


Tutors are available to help students in need of academic assistance in certain subjects. Some do not cost money, while others do.

Click here for more information about tutoring.

Back to Top


UMPD- University of Maine Police Department

Full-service on-campus police department staffed by state-certified police officers and support personnel 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.

The telephone number for UMPD is 207-581-4040. Program it into your cell phone right now! Calling 911 from your cell phone will cause delays in emergency response if you are on UMaine property.

Click here for more information about UMPD.

Click here for the UMPD Facebook page.

Back to Top

UVAC- University Volunteer Ambulance Corps

UMaine’s on-campus emergency service. To reach UVAC, call UMPD at 207-581-4040. Do not call 911 from your cell phone while on campus, as it will go to an off-campus dispatcher and delay the emergency response.

Back to Top



When a class you want to register for is full, you can sometimes be put on an automatic waitlist. Each time a seat in the class opens, the next person from the waitlist will be automatically added to the class.

Back to Top


Once classes for the following semester are posted on MaineStreet, students can create a tentative schedule for themselves.

Creating a wishlist does not automatically enroll you in courses. You must return to your wishlist, select the courses, and add them manually once you have reached your Enrollment Period.

Back to Top

Wells Commons

The dining facility located in Wells, which is between Hart Hall, Oak Hall, Dunn Hall, and Corbett Hall.

Back to Top


During the first third of the semester, a student may drop
courses without academic penalty. All such dropped courses are deleted from the student’s academic record.

During the second third of the semester, a student may withdraw from a course if the student’s academic advisor and Dean approve. Courses dropped will show on the student’s academic record, with a grade of “W”. The grade will not be computed into the semester average.

During the final third of the semester, any courses dropped will normally carry a grade of “WF”, unless extenuating circumstances prevail. This grade will show on the student’s academic record and will be computed into the semester average as a failing grade.

If you withdraw from the university, you will need to contact your Dean’s office to let them know your intentions. After you speak with your Dean’s office, please contact the Financial Aid Office for specific information on how your withdrawal will affect your Financial Aid.

Back to Top

Work Study

Work study is a type of Financial Aid. Students with work study can seek on-campus job opportunities and be paid from their work study funds. Visit the Career Center website to find work study opportunities.

Back to Top


York Hall

Housing for upperclass students, located on the South end of campus. York Hall is combined with Kennebec Hall and Aroostook Hall to create the YAK Complex.

Click here for more information about York Hall.

York Hall Facebook page.

Back to Top

York Commons

A dining facility located in York Hall.

Back to Top

Something Missing?

If you have other terms that you're confused about, please let us know and we can add them to this list!

If you'd like to be contacted about your request, please also include your email address and we'll get back to you as soon as we can!
  • Optional- only if you wish to be contacted with the definition of your term.

Back to Top

Back to Educational Resources


Contact Information

First Year Experience
016 Androscoggin Hall
Orono, ME 04469
Phone: 207-581-1420 | Fax: 207-581-4255E-mail:
The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469