Maine Hello! - Information for New Students
Your first day at UMaine is August 30th, 2013…and we can’t wait for you to arrive!
We have an awesome schedule of events for your first weekend, so that you can learn all about campus and meet other students!
- Floor meetings (so you can get to know your neighbors)
- Floor meals (so you aren’t eating alone)
- A service project with the rest of your floor (a great bonding experience)
- The President’s Dinner on the mall (free food!)
- Student Organization Fair (learn about all the ways you can get involved on campus!)
- Lunch sponsored by Greek Life (learn what it means to Go Greek!)
- The Black Bear Block Party (a night of fun, food, music, dancing, and more!)
- Campus and classroom tours (so you don’t get lost)
- A “drive-in” movie outside on the quad (why not?)
- Major meetings (so you can learn more about your major, your classes, and meet people in your major)
- Tons of adventures for you to choose from, including: rock climbing, ziplining, canoeing, free classes at the Rec Center, tie dye, volleyball, wiffleball, soccer, a video game tournament on the big screen, and much more!
If you have any questions about the move-in process, Maine Hello, Welcome Weekend events, etc. please contact the First Year Center at 207-581-1420.
Most incoming first-year students will be moving into one of the following residence halls: Oxford, Somerset, Knox, Cumberland, Gannett, Androscoggin, Colvin, Balentine, Penobscot or York. In order to minimize traffic throughout the day we ask students moving into one of the halls listed above to arrive on campus in waves, by last name. Please see below for your time slot.
- Last name A-F 8:00am-10:00am
- Last name G-M 10:00am-12:00noon
- Last name N-R 12:00noon-2:00pm
- Last name S-Z 2:00pm-4:00pm
Move-in Process for all Other Residence Halls
If you are a new or new transfer student who has been assigned to a hall other than those listed above, you may plan to arrive at any time during the day.
Getting ready? Check out these tips!
Please refer to our list of what to bring and what not to bring before you start packing.
A couple of quick tips to make the move-in process quicker for you:
- Label everything (boxes, bags, etc.) with your last name, hall and room number.
- If you are unsure of your housing assignment contact Housing Services at 207-581-4580 before you arrive to campus.
- Have your ID (license, MaineCard) handy! You will need this in order to check-in at your hall’s front desk.
You will get more information about Maine Hello in early August in a large mailing from the university. We will also post maps and other information here on our website later this summer.