Affordable Home Energy Saving Tips Webinars
Useful links mentioned in the Affordable Home Energy Saving Tips Webinars
- Efficiency Maine
- Energy Savers – U. S. Department of Energy
- Database of state incentives for renewables and efficiency (dsireusa.org)
- Maine Housing Energy Assistance Programs for eligible low income people
Archived sessions of this webinar
Are you looking for information on inexpensive things to do to your home or apartment to reduce your heating costs and/or make you more comfortable this winter? Reducing your heating costs and other energy costs in your home is the focus of this program. Part 1 of the session will include a demonstration on how to make a window shutter from cardboard, aluminum foils and duct tape as well as a door draft stopper from fabric and foam pipe insulation. Part 2 covers supplemental home heating methods, insulation materials, and the importance of regular maintenance of your heating system will also be discussed. Part 3 an overview of alternative energy sources and tax incentives will round out the program.
Presenters were Donna Coffin and Kathy Hopkins, Co-Leaders of the University of Maine Cooperative Extension Home Energy Education Program.
The three Home Energy Saving Tips webinars are:
Part 1 – Where Can I Save Money? (webinar)
Covers typical energy use in homes, specifics about measuring your own home energy use, energy audits, where to check for energy losses, compares heat content of fuels used to heat the home.
- Video – How do I do a home energy audit?
- Video – How to seal windows for winter and summer?
- Video – How do I save money with insulation?
- Maine Housing list of Certified Energy Auditors
- Home Energy Saver Online Energy Audit
- How to Do an Energy Evaluation, UMaine Extension Bulletin #7212
Part 2 – Easy Ways to Help Yourself (webinar)
Covers thermal comfort of individuals, low cost/no cost energy saving tips, air sealing, window treatments, lighting in the kitchen and upgrading heating systems.
- Mercury Thermostat Recycling Program
- Preventing Ice Dams, UMASS
- WXTV a Weekly Show on Weatherization Training, Montana State University Extension
- Residential Energy Efficiency Tax Credit
Part 3 – Assessing Alternative Energy Systems (webinar)
Covers advantages and disadvantages of fossil fuels,~renewable fuels, electricity from the grid, heat pumps, thermal solar, photovoltaic solar, wind and hydropower, and includes information on tax incentives for various energy practices.
- Options for Home Heating Fuels and Energy Systems, UMaine Extension Bulletin #7217
- Wood Smoke, Maine Department of Environmental Protection – Division of Air Quality
- Burn Wise, Environmental Protection Agency
- Outdoor Wood Boilers Regulations
- Where to buy Green Power in Maine
- Build It Solar, Solar energy projects for the Do-It-Yourselfer
- Solar Electric Energy, U. S. Department of Energy
- Solar & Wind Site Assessment – In My Back Yard
- Wind Powering America, U. S. Department of Energy
- Layman’s Guide to Developing Small Hydro Sites
Sponsored by UMaine Cooperative Extension in conjunction with Efficiency Maine and ARRA – American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (Recovery Act).
For more information contact: