Welcome to Cooperative Extension: Community Development
Maine communities are faced with complex issues and economic challenges. Local groups are engaged in change: resisting change, adapting to change or creating change. The Leadership and Volunteer Development program sponsored by University of Maine Cooperative Extension helps Maine people develop and enhance their leadership skills so they can work collaboratively to create the communities they want.
- Collaborate with informal groups, organizations, agencies and foundations to build leadership and volunteer capacity.
- Assist people in developing skills for establishing and strengthening effective partnerships and collaborations.
- Design, implement, and assess educational programs with leadership and volunteer development components in order to address community issues and public needs.
- Integrate leadership and volunteer development content with that of other UMaine Extension programs.
- Provide educational opportunities for people to develop skills and competencies in communication, decision making, group process, collaboration, facilitation, and conflict management.
- Facilitate diverse partnerships, collaboration, and networks for effective action within and across communities.