Maine Professional Development Resources
Maine Department of Health and Human Services Programs, Office of Child and Family Services, Early Childhood Division
- Maine Roads to Quality (MRTQ) Professional Development Network - MRTQ Professional Development Network is the Early Care and Education Career Development Center for Maine. Established in 1999, its purpose is to promote and support professionalism in the early care and education field. Phone 1.888.900.0055.
MRTQ provides (1) Standardized, state-approved trainings covering eight Core Knowledge Areas; (2) technical assistance support to programs to move up the Quality Rating and Improvement System (QRIS) steps; (3) scholarship funds to increase the professional development of practitioners in the field of early care and education in Maine; (4) a centralized Provider Registry to track professional development and (5) collaborates with other agencies in the state to support a network of services to support early care and education programs in Maine.
- Maine Early Care and Education Online Training Calendar - The calendar is a continuum of early childhood training in the state of Maine, from one-day workshops to graduate-level college course work. The target audience for the calendar is early childhood professionals.
Maine Department of Education Programs
- Maine Department of Education Child Development Services
The Child Development Services (CDS) system provides both Early Intervention (birth – two years) and Free Appropriate Public Education (FRAPE for ages three – five years) under the supervision of the Maine Department of Education. CDS screens and evaluates children birth through age 5 to determine if there are special needs and supports programs in serving eligible children.
- Maine Department of Education Four Year Old Program
The department provides technical assistance in the development of inclusive public preschool programs.
- University of Maine Center for Community Inclusion and Disabilities Studies (CCIDS)
CCIDS provides information, resources and training on inclusive child care, disabilities, early childhood mental health and consultation to child care programs to facilitate the access, participation and support of children in child care and early education.
- ME Partnership of Partnerships (POP) Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) Professional Development - PBIS is a decision-making framework that guides selection, integration, and implementation of the best evidence-based academic and behavioral practices for improving academic and behavioral outcomes for all children.PBIS provides systems for schools to design, implement, and evaluate effective school wide, classroom, non-classroom, and children-specific discipline plans.
- Child Care Choices
This website provides families assistance in finding child care and offers other helpful resources.
- Maine Parent Federation, Inc.
- Phone: 1.800.870.7746 (Maine only), 207.588.1933
The Maine Parent Federation provides statewide family support activities which promote individual aspirations for all people through information, education and advocacy.
- Starting POINTS for Maine - an online community for families of children with disabilities.
- Strengthening Maine Families
Phone: 207. 720.0316.
The Strengthening Maine Families Project is led by the Maine Children’s Trust in partnership with the Maine Early Childhood Initiative. They offer parent engagement training and information to support strong family, child care provider and other child serving agency relationships.