Skip Navigation

Graduate Programs - Admissions & Aid

Admissions to the graduate program in Horticulture normally begins by contacting the Program’s faculty & staff directly for more information on individual research interests and potential courses of study. Application to the Graduate School may be found online or by calling 207-581-3291.  Details regarding requirements about our M.S. degree in Horticulture can be found in our Guidelines for Graduate Study (revised May 2005).

Departmental Assistantships 

Man made pond in the cityDepartmental assistantships are awarded on the basis of available funds, qualifications of the student, and the program needs of the department. There are a total of 10 graduate assistantships available in Plant, Soil and Environmental Sciences and these are distributed among the faculty within the department. If there are no positions posted, this does not necessarily mean that there are none available.

Other sources of assistantship funding are grant-funded assistantships. Information about University work-study assistantships is available by contacting the Office of Student Financial Aid. Assistantships funded by extramural grants are sometimes available through certain faculty members. These funds generally come from commercial, federal or state sources and are provided for the faculty member(s) to carry out specific research. Students on this type of assistantship are expected to participate in the research defined by the grant agreement. Assistantships are not always posted. Students should contact individual faculty to determine availability of grant funding.

Graduate assistantships awarded by the department include both research and teaching responsibilities. Students on assistantships are expected to contribute to their advisor’s research program. This includes successful completion of the thesis research, as well as assisting in the professor’s other research projects. In addition, all graduate students in the department are required to participate in at least one teaching experience, whether they are supported by a departmental assistantship or not.

This may include teaching a laboratory section, providing office hours, preparing laboratories, grading, or guest lecturing. The faculty of this department believe that the opportunity to be involved in the teaching process is an important component of a graduate student’s academic experience. The department will allocate certain teaching responsibilities as they are needed in the department’s teaching program, and they will be assigned according to each individual student’s abilities and experience.

Departmental graduate assistantships include:

  • A full tuition waiver for up to 9 credit hours of classwork per regular semester plus one-credit during the summer.
  • The current stipend of approximately $16,967 per year is for a total of 7 semesters (or 2.5 years) for completion of the Masters degree program, and a minimum of three years for completion of the Ph.D. program.
  • Medical insurance is also available.  The cost is currently $2200 per year in which the student pays half.

For more information about departmental assistantships, please contact the Graduate Coordinator or speak to a faculty member with whom you might be interested in working with.

Bright green plantsFinancial assistance is available to qualified students in the form of departmental assistantships, University fellowships, scholarships, grants, and loans. To apply for departmental assistantships or to request nomination for a University fellowship, students must contact the Graduate Coordinator.

Scholarships & Grants 

Various scholarships, grants and awards are also available to both graduate and undergraduate students involved in the Environmental Horticulture Program. Click here for a list of some of these opportunities.

Back to Graduate Programs