Internships & Study Abroad
- FB Environmental Associates
- Stillwater Environmental Engineering
- Stantec Consulting
- Other Internships
Internships and Field Experience
In addition to the many internship opportunities advertised through UMaine’s Career Center , the EES program has unique relationships with Maine consulting firms to provide opportunities for our students. Such practical experience complements lessons from the classroom, the laboratory, and field-based learning. We will regularly post these internships and field experiences (both paid and for academic credit) as they become available.
EES majors are also encouraged to pursue field experience and to participate on research with faculty in the program. Research grants and contracts awarded to faculty often result in student job opportunities both during the academic year and in the summer. Students should consult with their advisor and the Career Center to identify field positions.
For more information on how the EES Field Experience fits into the curriculum:
EES 396 Guidelines (PDF)
Unique interdisciplinary programs will inspire you with a new vision of what is possible and will transform how you look at yourself, your community, and your world. Be sure to visit the Office of International Programs for help selecting, applying, and preparing for your study abroad experience.
Here is a list of programs that align well with the EES curriculum. Check back frequently for updates to this list.
- Go Beyond Abroad with Center for Ecological Living and Learning (CELL). CELL is based in Maine and offers unique study abroad programs focusing on a theme of “sustainability through community.” Current opportunities include a Fall 2013 program in Iceland; Spring 2014 programs in Central America, East Africa and Iceland; and Maymester 2014 in Central America and Iceland. http://www.cellonline.org/
- The School for Field Studies creates transformative study abroad experiences through field-based learning and research. http://www.fieldstudies.org/
- Ceiba Foundation for Tropical Conservation, offers a Tropical Conservation Semester in Ecuador each Spring, as well as Summer Courses. http://www.ceiba.org/courses.htm
- Sunderland University http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/international/
- Lancaster University http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/international-students/study-abroad/
- East Anglia University http://www.uea.ac.uk/international
- National Outdoor Leadership School NOLS offers numerous domestic and international programs that emphasize technical outdoor skills, leadership, and environmental ethics. http://www.nols.edu/courses/find/bylength/semesterlength.shtml
- Student Conservation Association SCA provides semester and year-round hands-on conservation and service opportunities across the United States. http://www.thesca.org/