Doctoral Program - Higher Education Admission
The Higher Education program seeks students who:
- are experienced with administrative or other organizational leadership responsibilities in an advanced learning setting,
- demonstrate promise for greater leadership responsibilities,
- are committed to making a positive difference in the settings in which they function,
- demonstrate academic strength to succeed in advanced graduate study and independent research including writing and analytic skills, and
- demonstrate motivation to succeed in the rigorous interpersonal and academic demands necessary to complete doctoral study.
Applicants are required to submit the application including:
- The statement of purpose that specifically describes the applicant’s interest in higher education, an important component that allows the faculty to assess the fit between individual and programmatic goals
- Three (3) references who can address the applicant’s potential for graduate level academic work (at least one, but preferably two, from a faculty member who can speak to the applicant’s classroom performance)
- Scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- A scholarly writing sample that addresses issues of diversity in higher education or a response to the following scenario (PDF)
- Transcripts of prior academic work, including undergraduate and graduate coursework from accredited institutions
- A professional resume detailing prior professional work
At the appropriate line in the application, you should note that you are applying to the Higher Education Program.
Also, please indicate whether or not you would like to pursue your studies full-time or part-time.
The applicant will be contacted for an interview with the Higher Education doctoral program faculty after review of the application.
Application Deadlines: November 15th and March 1st
Applicants often ask about expectation of prior coursework and GRE scores. We stress that we consider the overall application with each component adding to a full picture of an applicant’s promise. For general reference, however, the grade point average for prior graduate study should generally equal or exceed 3.5.