Faculty & Staff - Fairman
328 Shibles Hall
University of Maine
Orono, ME 04469-5766
Associate Research Professor
Center for Research and Education (CRE)
& Maine Education Policy Research Institute (MEPRI)
B.A. Political Science, University of Chicago
M.A. Political Science, Program in Public Policy, Rutgers University
Ph.D. Interdisciplinary Program in Education Policy, Rutgers University
- EAD 654: Educational Policy Formulation and Analysis
- EDA 570: Models of Educational Evaluation
- EDS 571: Qualitative Research: Theory, Design, and Practice
- EDU 690: Advanced Qualitative Research: Methods and Analysis
Research Focus and Expertise:
- Education Policy and Reform
- Mathematics and Science Education
- Teacher Professional Development
- Teacher leadership
- School district reorganization/consolidation
Selected Publications and Links:
- Fairman, J. & Mackenzie, S. (2014). How teacher leaders influence others and understand their leadership. International Journal of Leadership in Education. 17(2) pp.1-27.
- Donis-Keller, C., O’Hara-Miklavic, B., & Fairman, J. (2013). Improving educational opportunity and equity through school district consolidation in Maine. Maine Policy Review. 22 (2) pp.42-54.
- Majka, A., Fairman, J., & Yerxa, K. (2013). Policy changes for a nutrition education program in Maine: Issues and Implications. Maine Policy Review. 22 (2) pp.55-63.
- Fairman, J. & Mackenzie, S. (2013). Spheres of teacher leadership action for learning. In A. Alexandrou & S. Swaffield (Eds.), Teacher leadership and professional development: Perspectives, connections and prospects (Chpt. 5, pp. 68-85). England: Routledge.
- Fairman, J. & Donis-Keller, C. (2012). School district reorganization in Maine: Lessons learned for policy and process. Maine Policy Review. 21 (2) pp. 24-40.
- Fairman, J. & Mackenzie, S. (April 2012). Spheres of teacher leadership action for learning. Professional Development in Education, a special issue on teacher leadership, 38 (2) pp. 229-246.
- Fairman, J., Harris, W., Hoff, D., Mackenzie, S., Chapin, G., Allen, D. (2008). Perceptions and process: Early findings from a study of school district consolidation in Maine. Report to the Penquis Superintendents’ Association. (Co-authored with W. Harris). Orono, ME: Center for Research and Evaluation, University of Maine.
- Fairman, J. & Liu, X. (Jan. 2008) Mixed-grade grouping in Maine Schools. CRE Bulletin. Orono, ME: Center for Research and Evaluation, University of Maine.
- Harris, W. & Fairman, J. (Feb. 2006). Implementing Standards-Based Education in Maine: Progress, Challenges, and Implications. A White Paper. Orono, ME: Center for Research and Evaluation, University of Maine.
- Maine Education Policy Research Institute. (September 2005). The Development and Implementation of Local Assessment Systems in Maine Schools: A Progress Report. (Co-authored with Dr. Walter Harris). Orono, Maine: MEPRI, University of Maine.
- Fairman, J. & Doore, B. (2013). Empowering teachers and school leaders to use data to inform school improvement decisions. Roundtable presentation at the American Educational Research Association (AERA) Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, April 27- May 1, 2013.
- Fairman, J. & Donis-Keller, C. (2012). Challenges, supports and strategies in consolidating Maine’s school districts. A roundtable paper presented at the American Educational Research Association (AERA) Annual Meeting, Vancouver, BC, April 13-18, 2012.
- Donis-Keller, C., O’Hara-Miklavic, B., Fairman, J., & Silvernail, D. (2012). Early impacts of school district consolidation in Maine on educational opportunities and equity. Roundtable paper presented at the AERA annual meeting in Vancouver, BC, April 13-18, 2012.
- Doore, B. & Fairman, J. (2012). Teaching through technology: Faculty Perceptions and experiences at Maine’s seven public universities, preliminary results. Key-note presentation of research presented jointly a the Teaching through Technology (T-4) Summit, University of Maine, Orono, ME, April 3, 2012.
Image Description: Janet Fairman photo
Back to Faculty & Staff