Faculty & Staff - Kent
317 Shibles Hall
University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469-5766
(207) 581-2746 Office
(207) 364-2953 Home
(207) 416-8111 Cell
Coordinator, Literacy Programs
Director, Maine Writing Project
Ph.D., Claremont Graduate University
M.A. Studies, Middlebury College
M.A. Studies, University of Maine
B.S., University of Southern Maine
- Student and staff portfolios
- Middle & high school writing centers
- Writing process
- Athletes’ journals
- Narrative analysis
- English Methods
- Young Adult Literature
- Teacher as Researcher
- Maine Writing Project Summer Institute
- Secondary Reading Methods
- Soccer Team Notebook. (with Amy Edwards, Gonzaga University). (forthcoming, August 2012). Berkeley, CA: National Writing Project/Writing Athletes.
- The Athlete’s Workbook: A Season of Sport and Reflection (2012). Berkeley, CA: National Writing Project/Writing Athletes.
- Writing on the Bus: Using Athletic Team Notebooks and Journals to Advance Learning and Performance in Sports. (2011). New York, NY: Peter Lang Publishing.
- Teaching the Neglected “R”: Rethinking Writing Instruction in Secondary Classrooms (with Thomas Newkirk). (2007). Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
- A Guide to Creating Student-Staffed Writing Centers, Grades 6-12. (2006). New York, NY: Peter Lang Publishers.
- Writing About Place: A Teacher’s Guide. (2005). Orono, ME: Maine Writing Project.
- Beyond Room 109: Developing Independent Study Projects. (2000). Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann—Boynton/Cook.
- Room 109—The Promise of a Portfolio Classroom. (1997). Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann—Boynton/Cook.
- The Mosquito Test. (1994). Windswept House Publishers.
- Play On! (1985; 1989). Windswept House Publishers
- Entering Weld. (1981). Maine Writers & Publishers Alliance.
- International Writing Centers Association
- European Writing Centers Association
- National Writing Project, Teacher-Consultant
- California Consortium of Critical Educators
- National Council Teachers of English
- Maine Council of English/Language Arts
- 2006 Outstanding Scholarship in a Book Award, International Writing Centers Association, an assembly of the NCTE
- 1994 National Educator Award
- 1993 Maine Teacher of the Year
Image Description: Rich Kent
Back to Faculty & Staff