Faculty & Staff - Garthwait
108 Shibles Hall
University of Maine
Orono, ME 04469-5766
- EdD Literacy, Phi Kappa Phi, University of Maine. Orono, Maine. 2000
- Certificate of Advanced Studies, Education, University of Maine. Orono, Maine. 1994.
- Masters In Library Service, Rutgers University. New Brunswick, New Jersey. 1973.
- Bachelor of Arts, Mathematics, Bates College. Lewiston, Maine, 1968-1972. University of Leeds. Leeds, England. 1970-1971
- EDG 657 Practicum
- EDT 598 Foundations of Distance Education
- EDT 525 Telecommunications in the K-12 Class
- EDT 527 Networking and Troubleshooting for Educators
- EDT 555 Computers and Cooperative Learning
- EDT 530 Introduction to Hypermedia
- EDT 560 Applying Technology to Assessment in Education
- EDT 616 Seminar in Instructional Technology
- ERL 317 Children’s Literature (undergraduate)
- ERL 517 Children’s Literature (graduate level)
- ERL 518 Young Adult Literature
- Educators’ use of technology
- Ways technology affects student learning
- Zhen, Y., Garthwait, A., & Pratt, P. (2008, Fall). Factors Affecting Faculty Members’ Decision to Teach or Not to Teach Online in Higher Education. Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration (11), 3.
- Garthwait, A. (2007). Middle school hypermedia composition: A qualitative case study. Journal of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia, 16 (4).
- Garthwait, A., & Weller, H. (2005). A year in the life: Two seventh grade teachers implement one-to-one- computing. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 37(4). 361-377.
- Kasten, W.C., Kristo, J.V., McClure, A.A., & Garthwait, A. (2005). Living Literature: Using children’s literature to support reading and language arts. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall
- Garthwait, A. (2004). Use of hypermedia in onemiddle scohol: A qualitative field study. Journal of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia, 13(3). pp. 219-243.
- Garthwait, A. & Verrill, J. (2003). E-portfolios: Documenting student Progress. Science & Children, 40(8). 22-27.
- Blagojevic, B. & Garthwait, A. (2001). Observing and recording children’s growth and change. (Cover article). Scholastic: Early Childhood Education. 36-44.
- Garthwait, A. (2001). Hypermedia composing: Questions arising from writing in three dimensions. Language Arts, 78(3). 237-244.
- Garthwait, A. C. (1999). Where state test hurts students. Bangor Daily News; Bangor; Jun 7, 1999. (OpEd piece)
- Garthwait, A. C. (1997). Be prepared: Developing a censorship policy for the electronic age. In Power, B.M., Wilhelm, J.D. & Chandler, K. (Eds.). Reading Stephen King: Issues of censorship, student choice, and popular literature. Urbana, IL: National Council of Teachers of English.
- Conant, A., Garthwait, A., & Grant, N. (1996). Springboard: Innovative assessment of electronic and information literacy. Augusta, ME: Maine State Library Media Services.
- Garthwait, A. (1993). Helping to make reading-writing connections: Young adult characters and their authors talk about the craft of writing. New England Reading Association Journal (29) 2. (Invited article).
- [Garthwait, A.] (1993). Introducing Maine Sampler III Information Skills Activities. Maine Entry (2) 4. (Includes a research activity guide for The Moon and I).
- Kristo, J. & Garthwait, A. (1992). Chapter 10 – Children’s trade books: A guide to resources. English/Language Arts curriculum resource handbook. Millwood, NY: Kraus. 1992-94
- For the Maine Educational Media Association: Co-authored Maine Sampler: Part I, II, Edited and co-authored: Maine Sampler: Part III, IV (Implementation handbooks for Information Skills Guide)
- Conant, A., Carr, B., Garthwait, A., Gregory, D. & Lord, L. (1989). Information Skills Guide for Educators. [Augusta, ME: Maine State Library.]