Faculty & Staff - Gardner
Susan K. Gardner
336 Merrill Hall
University of Maine
Orono, ME 04469-5749
Associate Professor – Higher Education
Ph.D.: 2005, Washington State University
Ed.M.: 2001, University of Wisconsin – La Crosse
B.A. Spanish/Education: 1996, Hamline University
Courses taught at UMaine
- HED 561: Theories of Student Development in Higher Education
- HED 562: Impact of College on Students
- HED 523: The American Community College
- HED 610: Capstone Seminar in Student Affairs
- HED 620: Seminar in Higher Education in the US
- HED 652: Dynamics of Change in Higher Education
- HED 654: Policy and Politics in Higher Education
- HED 676: Doctoral Seminar in Organizational Theory
- Intersections between organizational culture and individual development
- Issues of social justice in higher education
- Connections throughout the K-20 system in the United States
- Gardner, S. K. & Gopaul, B. (2012). The part-time doctoral student experience. International Journal of Doctoral Studies, 7, 63-78.
- Gardner, S. K. (2012). “A jack of all trades and a master of some of them”: Successful students in interdisciplinary Ph.D. programs. Issues in Integrative Studies, 29, 84-117.
- Gardner, S. K. (2012). A mixed methods study of women faculty satisfaction and departure from one research institution. Journal About Women in Higher Education, 5, 71-95.
- Gardner, S. K., & Holley, K. (2011). “Those invisible barriers are real”: The progression of first-generation students through doctoral education. Equity and Excellence in Education, 44, 77-92.
- Gardner, S. K. (2010). Keeping up with the Joneses: Socialization and culture in doctoral education at one third-tier institution. The Journal of Higher Education, 81, 658-679.
- Gardner, S. K. (2010). Faculty perspectives on doctoral student socialization in five disciplines. The International Journal of Doctoral Studies, 5, 39-53.
- Le, T., & Gardner, S. K. (2010). Understanding the doctoral experience of Asian international students in the STEM fields: An exploration of one institutional context. Journal of College Student Development, 51, 252-264.
- Gardner, S. K. (2010). Contrasting the socialization experiences of doctoral students in high and low completion departments. The Journal of Higher Education, 81, 61-81.
- Gardner, S. K., & Mendoza, P. (Eds.). (in press). On becoming a scholar: Doctoral student socialization and development. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing.
- Gardner, S. K. (2009). The development of doctoral students: Phases of challenge and support. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Lott, J., Gardner, S. K., & Powers, D. A. (2009). Doctoral student attrition in the STEM fields: An exploration of event history analysis. The Journal of College Student Retention, 11, 247-266.
- Gardner, S. K. (2009). Coming out of the sexual harassment closet: One woman’s story of politics and change in higher education. National Women’s Studies Association Journal, 21, 171-195.
- Gardner, S. K. (2009). Conceptualizing success in doctoral education: Perspectives of faculty in seven disciplines. The Review of Higher Education, 32, 383-406.
- Gardner, S. K. (2009). Student and faculty attributions of attrition in high and low-completing U.S. doctoral programs. Higher Education, 58, 97-112.
- Gardner, S. K. (2008). “What’s too much and what’s too little?” The process of becoming an independent researcher in doctoral education. The Journal of Higher Education, 79, 326-350.
- Gardner, S. K. (2008). Fitting the mold of graduate school. Innovative Higher Education, 33, 125-138.
- Gardner, S. K. (2007). “I heard it through the grapevine” Doctoral student socialization in chemistry and history. Higher Education, 54, 723-740.
- Gardner, S. K., & Barnes, B. J. (2007). Graduate student involvement: Socialization for the professional role. Journal of College Student Development, 48, 369-387.
- Gardner, S. K., Miller, K., Barker, M. J., Loftin, J., Erwin, M., & Maurin, K. (2007). Student affairs and Hurricane Katrina: Contextual perspectives from five institutions of higher education in New Orleans. NASPA Journal, 44, 209-232.
- Gardner, S. K., Hayes, M. T., Neider, X. (2007). The dispositions and skills of a Ph.D. in education: Perspectives of faculty and graduate students in one college of education. Innovative Higher Education, 31, 287-299.
- Gardner, S. K. (2005, December). Zen and the art of graduate school. Academic Exchange Extra.
- Gardner, S. K. (2005). Faculty preparation for teaching, research, and service: What do new faculty need? Journal of Faculty Development, 20, 161-166.
- Assistant Professor, 2005-2007; Louisiana State University
- Research Assistant, 2003-2005; Carnegie Initative on the Doctorate, Washington State University
- Graduate Intern, 2004-2005; Student Affairs Research, Washington State University
- Teaching Assistant, 2003-2004; Department of Educational Leadership, Washington State University
- Coordinator of Campus Involvement, 2001-2003; Student Affairs, Washington State University
- Spanish Teacher, 1996-2001; Lincoln High School, Alma Center, Wisconsin
Professional Memberships & Honor Societies
- American Educational Research Association
- Association for the Study of Higher Education
- Association of American Colleges and Universities
- American College Personnel Association
- National Association of Student Personnel Administrators
- National Women’s Studies Association
Image Description: Susan Gardner
Back to Faculty & Staff