Faculty & Staff - Artesani
University of Maine
304 Shibles Hall
Orono, ME 04469-5766
(207) 581-4061 Phone
(207) 581-2423 Fax
Associate Professor – Special Education
Ed.D. West Virginia University (1992)
M.Ed. University of Maine (1983)
B.S. Barrington College (1979)
- EDU 509 Autism
- SED 402 Adapting Instruction for Students with Disabilities
- SED 509 Curriculum Development: Severe Disabilities
- SED 532 Behavior Management and Intervention
- SED 536 Educational Strategies: Severe Disabilities
- SED 552 Working with Families of Students with Disabilities
- SED 556 Educational Assessment: Severe Disabilities
- SED 563 Positive Supports for Challenging Behaviors
- SED 691 Field Practicum
- Challenging behaviors
- Inclusive education
- School-wide discipline
- Frequent workshops and consultation to public schools concerning: student behavior, inclusive education, curriculum and instruction for students with severe disabilities
Artesani, A.J. (2000). Understanding the purpose of challenging behavior: A guide to conducting functional assessments. Student Enrichment Series. Prentice Hall, Columbus, Ohio.
Artesani, A.J. & Fairman, M. (2000). Using Distance Education to Provide Graduate Coursework in Maine. In B.L. Ludlow & F. Spooner, (Eds.), Distance education. Restin, Va: Council for Exceptional Children.
Artesani, A.J., & Mallar, L. (1998). Positive behavior supports in general education settings: Combining person-centered planning and functional analysis. Intervention in school and clinic, 34 (1) 33-38.
Artesani, A.J. & Brown, D. (1998). A Model for Special Services Program Evaluation. Journal of Research in Rural Education. 14 (2) 116-124.
Artesani, A.J., Harris, W., & Durant, L.B., & Lindyberg, L. (1998). Principals’ Perspectives on Challenging Behaviors in Maine Schools. [Monograph] Orono, ME: University of Maine College of Education & Human Development/Maine Principal’s Association Research Partnership.
Artesani, A.J., Goessling, D.P., & Smith, V. (1998). Collaborative teaching over interactive television: The agony and the ecstasy. Rural Special Education Quarterly. 17 (1), 3-11.
Artesani, A.J., Itkonen, T.M., Fryxell, D., & Woolcock, W.W. (1995). Community instruction. In W.W. Woolcock & J.W. Domeraci, (Eds.), Instructional strategies in the community: A resource guide for community instruction for persons with disabilities. Austin, Tx: Pro-Ed. Publishers.
Woolcock, W.W. & Artesani, A.J. (1995). Instructional analysis: Sequences of community tasks. In W.W. Woolcock & Domeraci, J. (Eds.), Instructional strategies in the community: A resource guide for community instruction for persons with disabilities. Austin, Tx: Pro-Ed Publishers.
- Chair, Orono School Committee
- Representative for Maine, New England Educational Research Organization
- Consultant, Institute for the Study of Students At Risk
- Council for Exceptional Children
- American Association on Mental Retardation
- The Association for Persons with Severe Handicaps
- New England Educational Research Organization