Mental Health and Campus Resource Links
University of Maine | Addictions /Substance Abuse | Alternate/Other Self-Help Groups | Assisted Living | Health/Mental Health | Legal/Consumer Information | Financial | Career Resources | Domestic Violence Natural Disasters
University of Maine
Traditional 12-Step Program
Alternative/Other Self-Help Groups
- Alzheimers Association – Information on drugs/treatment options, caregiver resources, fact sheets, support group info
- Controlling Anger
- Anxiety Disorders – Exercise eases symptoms of anxiety and depression
Generalized anxiety disorder – MayoClinic.com
- Asperger’s Syndrome
- Attention Deficit Disorder
- Breast Cancer Information
- Breast Cancer Center at WebMD – Information regarding every aspect of the disease and treatment free electronic newsletter available.
- Care Givers
- Centers for Disease Control – Health recommendations by geographic location, food and water precautions, disease outbreak info. — a “must see” site for the traveler
- Depression in Kids
- Children and antidepressants: Sorting through the warnings
- General Health for Young People – Go Ask Alice
- General Mental Health
- Grief And Loss (PDF)
- Harvard Medical School Family Health Guide – A guide that answers basic questions about diagnostic medical tests: what are they, what are they for, how do you prepare for them, what happens during them, how long before results are known, etc.
- Healthfinder – A gateway consumer health info site from the U.S. Government
- Health Information
- Health Issues for Travelers
- InteliHealth – Featuring Harvard Medical School’s consumer health information
- Keeping your back healthy at work – Understanding the cause of workplace back injuries can help you prevent them.
- Mayo Clinic Health Oasis – A source for reliable and current (updated daily!) health information
- MEDHUNT – A medical search engine that allows users to type in key words to find appropriate sites
- MedicineNet - A free medical reference with disease and treatment, pharmacy, medical dictionary, poison control center, and news section
- Mood And Food: Escape Emotional Eating – For many people, eating is a way of suppressing or soothing negative emotions, such as anger, anxiety, boredom, sadness and loneliness.
- National Association for Adult Children of Alcoholics
- National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information
- Nervous breakdown
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) – SAD is different from the winter blahs.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- What You Need to Know About Prostate Cancer – A guide to the symptoms, risk factors, and treatment of the most common type of cancer in men.
- Weight Loss & Control – NIH publications on eating disorders, exercise, dieting, surgery, & more.
- Well Spouse Foundation – Information and support for the partners of the chronically ill and disabled.
- Y-Me National Breast Cancer Organization – Cancer resources, early detection programs, monthly newsletter and information for anyone who has been touched by breast cancer
- Benefits Check Up – National Council on the Aging’s free on-line service that identifies federal and state assistance programs for elders.
- Consumer World – A public service non-commercial guide of over 2000 useful consumer resources
- Consumer Complaints – Updated resources that can help you take action on individual consumer complaints about products and services; telemarketing; Y2K consumer issues; e-commerce & the internet; automobiles; healthcare; and environmental violations
- Consumer Law Page – Over 150 articles and brochures on topics of interest to consumers
- Courts - Forms and Fees
- Divorce – Helpful resource about divorce
- Divorce and Parental Rights in Maine
- Foreignborn.com – Info, tools and resources for all foreign-born individuals entering or living in the U.S.
- Kelley Blue Book – Check the retail or trade-in value for almost any car or truck model from the past 21 years
- Quackwatch – Home page of Quackwatch, Inc., a nonprofit corporation whose purpose is to combat health-related frauds, myths, fads and fallacies
- Relocation Resources - This site offers many resources for moving to a new city, finding and buying a home, and moving.
- Volunteer Match – Organizations needing volunteers can post their needs here; wouldbe volunteers can post their zip code and see what kinds of volunteers are needed.
Domestic Violence (Relationship and Other Abuse)
How to Contribute
In response to the news of the devastation and destruction world-wide, the University of Maine’s Employee Assistance Program has established this emergency trauma response link on its website.
This link offers resources for coping with grief and trauma as well as helping you find a family member whom you believe may have been a victim of a natural disaster.
During times of profound tragedy, we offer our support to the faculty and staff of the University community who may have been directly or indirectly impacted by natural disasters and other traumatic event.
News and Information