Workforce Recruitment Program
UMaine Disability Support Services will be participating in the Federal Workforce Recruitment Program (WRP) for the third year during 2012 -2013. WRP is a recruitment and referral program sponsored by the Department of Labor and the Department of Defense and is designed to connect federal sector employers nationwide with highly motivated college students and recent graduates with disabilities who are eager to prove their abilities in the workplace through summer or permanent jobs.
During the 2011-2012 academic year 5 of the 7 UMaine students who participated were offered paid summer internships through WRP!
- 3 Students were hired by the Department of the Army and worked in Heidelberg, Germany
- 1 Student was hired by NavSea’s SUPSHIP (Supervisors of Shipbuilding, Conversion and Repair), part of Department of the Navy in Bath, Maine
- 1 Student was hired by a National Guard office in New Hampshire
“Student Quote: I am absolutely thrilled by the opportunity to work at SUPSHIP! Had I known about this job, it would have been my dream job! The Workforce Recruitment Program gives students exposure to agencies they have no way of knowing exist, and gives agencies the opportunity to hire qualified candidates for internships and positions with a greatly decreased time/cost hiring process, and despite the hiring freezes currently in effect.”
To be eligible for the WRP, candidates must be current, full-time undergraduate or graduate students with a disability, or have graduated within one year of the release of the database each December. For the 2013 WRP release, interviews will be held in the fall of 2012. A candidate who graduated in October, 2011 or later would still be eligible to participate.
Interested in Participating?
- Register on the WRP website once the registration link becomes active (usually sometime in August) https://wrp.gov/StudentRegisterInstructionPre.do.
- DSS staff at UMaine will review your request to participate and make sure you are a current full-time UMaine student with a documented disability. If you meet the criteria to participate and are approved, you will receive an email notification from the WRP site.
- Follow the instructions in the email & create a WRP log-on and complete your online registration.
- Have your resume reviewed by the UMaine Career Center and upload your resume to the WRP site.
- Download a transcript from MaineStreet and upload the transcript to the WRP site.
- Schedule an appointment with Sara Henry at the UMaine DSS office to talk about the program by calling 207.581.2319. Bring your resume and transcript with you.
- DSS staff will review the applications for the WRP and select 8 students to participate in campus interviews.
- If selected for a campus interview, consider participating in a mock interview at the Career Center before your WRP interview.
- Our campus recruiter will be coming to UMaine sometime in October to conduct interviews. The date will be posted here as soon as it is available.
WRP Student flyer 2012-2013 (Word)
WRP Student flyer 2012-2013 (PDF)
If you have any questions or would like to find out more about this program please contact Sara Henry at 207.581.2319 or send her an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.