Registration with Disability Support Services
Registration with Disability Support Services (DSS) is a separate process from applying for admission to the University of Maine. In order to be considered for accommodations with Disability Support Services, students must first submit documentation of the disability according to DSS guidelines and meet with Ann Smith, Director of Disability Support Services or Sara Henry, Learning Specialist to discuss accommodation requests. Students who would like information about the registration process should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Process for Requesting Accommodations From Disability Support Services (DSS)
- Student makes appointment to meet with Ann Smith, Director of DSS or Sara Henry, Learning Specialist.
- Student completes a DSS Intake Form (PDF). Forms are also available by calling or stopping by the DSS office.
- Student provides documentation of disability according to DSS guidelines. One of the following documentation forms should be presented to the student’s physician/psychologist for completion. You may need to sign a release form and provide it to your clinician prior to having him or her send the documentation to us Authorization to Release and Exchange Information (PDF). Forms are also available by calling or stopping by the DSS office in East Annex.
Click on the form below associated with your disability to download a copy of the guidelines for Documentation of Disability:
- Guidelines for Documentation of a Specific Learning Disability (PDF)
- Guidelines for Documenting Attention Deficit/ Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD, ADD) (PDF)
- Guidelines for Documentation of Psychological Disorders (PDF)
- Guidelines for Documentation of Physical or Chronic Health Related Disabilities (PDF)
- Student meets with Ann Smith or Sara Henry to determine eligibility under DSS guidelines and discuss accommodation process. Once eligibility is determined students need only complete the Accommodation Request Form each semester and need not meet with Ann or Sara unless accommodation changes are being requested.
- If determined eligible, student requests accommodation and fills out Test Accommodation Request Form (PDF) or other accommodation request forms given to student by a DSS staff member. Forms are also available by calling or stopping by the DSS office.
- DSS Office prepares letters of accommodation.
- Students pick up letters from DSS and hand deliver to faculty.
Registering with DSS Without Requesting Accommodations
- Student completes DSS intake form
- Student provides documentation of disability according to DSS guidelines
- If desired, student meets with DSS staff to discuss University resources
- Student put on DSS list to receive academic and scholarship information