Accommodation Policy for Students with Disabilities - Information About Notetakers
Who are notetakers?
Notetakers are students who have volunteered to share their class notes. The notetaker is provided with two options which can be used to take notes.
- Photocopy: The photocopy method allows student notetakers to take notes in their own notebook and come to the East Annex Building once/twice per week to photocopy the notes.
- Email: The email method allows students who type up notes during class (or have access to a scanner) to simply e-mail the notes to our office via the Notetaker Dropbox in First Class.
What is my responsibility in obtaining notetakers?
If you qualify for notetakers please follow these directions:
- Fill out the Notetaker Request Form (PDF) and indicate which classes you need the notetakers for
- Expect a one to two week period to pass before your accommodations are completely implemented. It takes time to locate notetakers. Hint: completion of the Notetaker Request Form (PDF) prior to the start of the semester speeds this process!
Where will I receive my notes?
Once you have filled out the requisite form and a Notetaker has been found, your notes will be available in a class conference that will be added to your FirstClass Desktop.
Course conference naming:
- Class identification followed by DSS Notes
- Example: BMB 208-001 DSS Notes
Please, notify our Records Tech if you have received a message identifying that you have a note taker for a class but you have not seen:
- the class conference added to your FirstClass Desktop
- notes posted to the conference weekly
Expectation of students receiving notes:
- Students will attend class and participate in class discussions. The notes you receive are designed to act as a supplementary set, not your primary notes.
- Students are expected to keep up with readings and class assignments. To do this, you must pick up your notes on a regular basis.
- If students are not receiving notes from their notetaker, please contact Michael (our Records Tech) immediately so this problem can be corrected.
- If it becomes clear that notes are being provided by the professor or notes are not needed for this class, the accommodation will come subject to review.