Return to Layout View
Follow UMaine on Twitter
Join UMaine on Facebook
Watch UMaine on YouTube
Parents & Family
Apply to UMaine
Engaging in sustainable initiatives and making decisions for the greater good are part of our mission. Here are just some of the ways we are making a difference right here in our campus community:
- a pulper that composts food and paper products
- green cleaning products
- Single Stream Recycling in the Bear’s Den (read below!)
- trayless dining at many locations, reducing the amount of water used to wash trays and additional dishes
- biodegradeable cups, cutlery, sandwich wraps, plates, salad containers and unbleached napkins
- “GreenToGo” reusable container program
You can PITCH IN for recycling at the Bear’s Den!
Look for the signs and bins! Collected material is transported to a Zero-Sort Processing facility in Boston where materials are sorted, baled, and sold on the recyclables commodities market with a significant percent going to mills and processing facilities for the manufacture of new products.
YES! Do toss these materials into the recycling bins*:
- CARDBOARD/PAPER: pizza boxes, plates/bowls, coffee cups and hot sleeves, soup containers, food boxes/cartons
- BOTTLES & CANS: water, soda, juice
- PLASTIC: all salad bar containers and lids, soda cups and lids (no straws), sandwich containers, condiment cups and lids, coffee cup lids, milk bottles
* Before you do so, please empty and wipe containers with a napkin; also, pour ice or liquids into the bucket provided. Toss the container into the recycling bin. Toss the food waste and napkin into the trash.
NO! Please do NOT place these items in the recycling bins:
- CARDBOARD/PAPER: sandwich wrappers, bakery tissue, napkins, straw wrapper
- PLASTIC: utensils, straws, chip bags, bar wrappers, condiment packages
- OTHER: coffee stir stick
Learn more about UMaine’s Sustainability Efforts!
How it Works — 1st Visit:
- Get a GreenToGo ticket from any Marketplace or Union Central Market cashier for $5—this is a deposit and NOT A FEE. The $5 will be returned to you at the end of the program.
- Visit any Marketplace venue from 11AM to 2PM, Monday through Friday. Please do not mix salad bar items which are purchased by weight with items that are purchased by each. This will make it difficult for the cashier to know how to charge you.
- Hand the server your GreenToGo ticket and place your order.
- Your meal will be placed in the secure, environmentally-friendly reusable container that is 100% BPA free.
- Pay for your meal as usual at the cashier station.
- Enjoy then or later! The container seals and can be used in the microwave. If you are going to save your meal for later, please be sure to refrigerate it promptly for safety and quality reasons.
How it Works — All Semester Long:
- Clean your container and return it to the drop-off station at Nature’s Palate in the Marketplace. (Please do not reuse your container as we need to properly sanitaize it.)
- You will be provided a new GreenToGo ticket to exchange for a clean, sanitized container at any Marketplace venue from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Monday through Friday.
At the End of the Program:
- Return your clean container or GreenToGo ticket at Union Central Market to reclaim your $5 deposit.
Interested? Contact Us!
Good Citizens, Sustainability
University of Maine Dining
Orono, ME 04469
Phone: 207.581.DINE (3463) | Fax: 207.581.4714E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org