A Message from the Vice President for Development
Dear Alumni, Parents and Friends:
These are exciting times at UMaine, with the Blue Sky strategic planning process entering its third and final year. Much has been accomplished towards redefining our university’s role as Maine’s 21st Century Land Grant university and creating a blueprint to become one of the most distinctive universities in the country for student achievement and community engagement.
As President Paul Ferguson puts it: “This plan isn’t just about making the University of Maine a bigger, better and more financially sustainable institution. It also is about reconnecting the university to the people of Maine so that we can have a major impact on the future growth and prosperity of our state in the 21st century.”
Blue Sky initiatives include:
- Restructuring and reorganizing to ensure that UMaine teaching, research, outreach, and economic development programs are in close alignment with Maine’s priority needs;
- Optimizing operating efficiencies while growing enrollment and increasing philanthropy to achieve financial sustainability;
- Investing in faculty and staff professional development and improving communication among all constituencies;
- Promoting undergraduate and graduate opportunities for student success-both in and out of the classroom; and
- Restoring UMaine’s physical plant and technology infrastructure to ensure a vibrant place of learning and discovery.
The next steps will include prioritizing the goals that have emerged from the plan and quantifying them in terms of the people, programs and facilities (whether new or renovated) that will be required to bring the vision to fruition.
We hope you will continue to partner with us as we enter the implementation phase of the plan. We need your ideas, advocacy and investment in the areas most meaningful to you. The focus for UMaine’s Advancement Partners (Office of University Development; University of Maine Foundation; University of Maine Alumni Association; Pulp & Paper Foundation and 4-H Foundation) is to encourage as many alumni, parents and friends as possible to consider the Triple Crown of Giving:
- Joining the President’s Club ($1,000 annual donation to an area of your choice);
- Becoming a Stillwater Society Member or advancing within the Society (Membership begins with cumulative lifetime giving of $25,000); and
- Joining the Charles F. Allen Legacy Society (by including the university in your will or estate plans).
Thanks to generous donors, the university is on track to attain the Blue Sky goals. Your gifts have increased scholarship aid for students, enhanced support for faculty, established endowed excellence funds, and restored legacy buildings and learning environments — all of which help UMaine deliver an educational mission critical to quality of life and economic development in Maine and beyond.
With your continued help, we will provide Blue Skies and a brighter future for our students and and our world by making the College of our Hearts Always the “most student-centered and community-engaged of the American Research Universities.”
On behalf of a grateful university, thank you!
Vice President for Development & Alumni Relations