Educational Programs - Demonstration Garden at Tidewater Farm
A lot of activity has been happening at the Demonstration Garden at Tidewater Farm during the gardening season of 2013:
- Our vision for the 1-acre demonstration/education garden: Demo Garden Master Plan 2013.
- This season we installed a cottage-style garden adjacent to the garden shed. The new garden area is informal and is designated as a site to demonstrate edible landscaping and vertical gardening techniques.
- The Norm Steele Maine Harvest for Hunger plots have done very well this season. Disease and insect pests were kept to a manageable level. To date we have harvested and donated 600 pounds of produce from the garden to Wayside Food Programs in Portland, for distribution to area food pantries. For information about the Maine Harvest for Hunger program go to http://umaine.edu/cumberland/programs/horticulture/maine-harvest-for-hunger/.
- The next phase of the garden will include the installation of the pollinator garden and the gathering circle.
- Workshops that will be scheduled in the spring of 2014 will include:
- Season Extension
- Creating Vertical Gardens Using Wooden Pallets
- Tips for Dividing Perennial Plants
Please contact Amy Witt, Horticulturist, UMaine Extension at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or if you have any questions about the garden.