Four Maine 4-H’ers represented the Pine Tree State very well at the Eastern States Exposition in Springfield, MA. The four 4-H’ers were Lucia A. (Cumberland County), Reed B. (Cumberland), Bob G. (Penobscot) and Natalie H. (Waldo). There were five states competing at the Big E for the Eastern States competition – Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine. The Maine team represented our state well with sheep and earned many high scoring ribbons in a variety of categories. A big thanks to our volunteer chaperones Wendy Almeida, Tom Hodgman and Donna Gangitano.
Here are the results of Eastern States Sheep Competition for the Maine team:
The Shepherd Award – Reed B.
Knowledge (written) Test
- 1st place Intermediate – Natalie
- 3rd place Intermediate – Lucia
From the five states there were a total of 18 intermediates who took this test.
- 2nd place for Maine team
There were 6 teams (Massachusetts had 2 teams) in this competition.
- 3rd place for Maine team
There were 5 displays.
- Grand Champion Oxford – Reed
- Reserved Champion Oxford – Reed
- Grand Champion Katahdin – Bob
- Reserved Champion Katahdin – Natalie
- Reserved Champion Bred & Owned Natural Color – Lucia
- 5th place Intermediate class – Lucia
- 2nd place Intermediate Meat Breed – Natalie
- 7th place Intermediate Meat Breed – Reed
- 2nd place Intermediate Wool Breed – Lucia
- 2nd place Junior Meat Breed – Bob