Our Faculty and Staff - Susan K. Riley, M.S., CCC-SLP
Susan K. Riley, lecturer emerita, was a clinical faculty member and was in partial retirement with a half-time position as of fall 2007. Ms. Riley did both academic and clinical teaching. She was directly involved with family-centered practice as a service delivery model, presented workshops and poster sessions on a family-centered approach, and worked to integrate this philosophy into the speech-language services offered at the Conley Center. Ms. Riley completed a sabbatical at Northern Illinois University, working with James R. and Mary A. Andrews, developers of the Family-Based Treatment approach. Ms. Riley coordinated an ongoing Family-Based Treatment Specialty Clinic at Conley.
- M.S. 1965 University of Wisconsin (Speech)
- B.S. 1964 Northwestern University (Speech)
- CSD 686 Clinical Practicum: Speech-Language Pathology
- CSD 586 Current Issues in Clinical Practice: Family-Centered Practice in Communication Disorders
- CSD 491 Senior Capstone
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
- Maine Speech-Language-Hearing Association
Publications and Presentations
- Riley, S. K. (2005, October). Teaching and integrating counseling skills into clinical education for CSD graduate students. North East Council of Clinical Directors in Communication Sciences and Disorders, Spring Meeting, Boston, MA.
- Riley, S. K. (2005, April). Developing communication skills for working with children with disabilities and their families. Workshop presentation at Conference on Children with Special Needs and the Child Welfare System, Bangor, ME.
- Riley, S. (1998). Supervision issues in family-centered practice. SUPERvision, 22(2), 6.
- Burgess, S., Haley, J., & Riley, S. K. (1998, November). Using a systemic approach to service delivery in a mental health setting. Poster session presented at the annual meeting of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Convention, San Antonio, TX.
- Riley, S. K. (1998, May). Application of a family-based treatment approach to medical and home health settings. Workshop presentation at Community Health Services, Portland, ME.
- Riley, S. K., Camp. P., & Orr, L. (1995, November). Family-centered practice: Preservice training for communication disorders graduate students. Poster session presented at the annual meeting of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Convention, Orlando, FL.