SIE 510 - Overview
GIS Applications with Python
This course investigates theoretical and practical aspects of GIS applications and application development using the Python programming language. The course reviews GIS models and operations, various application areas, and dependencies between models and applications, conceptual data modeling, database development, and analysis. Course requires completion of several lab exercises, presentations and class participation, a midterm exam, and development and completion of an application project.
A. Class Sessions
- On-campus Students: Tues and Thursday, 9:30 – 10:45 Tues & Thurs, Room 326 Boardman Hall
- Live Broadcast: Available at http://connect.maine.edu/sie510/ Online students may view and participate in the live sessions but are not required to do so.
- Archived Broadcasts: Links to the class broadcasts are made available at the end of each day through the Lectures and Assignments link for this course.
B. Class Assignments
- Lab Exercises: Students are responsible for completing several lab exercises. The objective of the labs is to develop your skills with Python programming and GIS project development. We will be using ArcGIS software.
- Projects: The application project involves working with a client(s), some level of requirements analysis to determine the client’s needs, specification of requirements, and development of application prototypes to serve the client’s needs. Projects require a final presentation to the class and clients and submission of a final project report at the end of the semester.
C. Class Resources
D. Important Notices
E. Instructor Office Hours
- For one-on-one discussions with the instructor, E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org is often the simplest way to get a message through and a response. You are also welcome to call my office at 207-581-2147 or try me at my Skype username of kate.beardtiz
- On-campus Students: I am in the office most days and you can send an email to set up an appointment.
- On-line Students (Live Discussion Sessions): An optional discussion session can be scheduled with ConnectPro if there is sufficient interest in an organized discussion session on a topic.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.