- All marching graduates (including doctoral candidates) should arrive at the New Balance Field House by 9:30 a.m. for the morning ceremony and 2 p.m. for the afternoon ceremony.
- Caps and gowns must be worn to march in Commencement ceremonies; tassels are worn on the left side of the cap.
- Bring your completed blue reader card with you to Commencement. You will hand the card to the “reader” as you approach the stage so that your name may be announced as you cross the stage. Note: This does not apply to doctoral candidates.
- Once you are in line, please do not cross lines as the line determines the College you are in and which side of the arena you will be seated on. There will be staff in the New Balance Field House to assist you.
- There is no rehearsal.
- Members of scholastic honor societies are encouraged to wear official emblems or insignia appropriate to their society.
Note: Master’s and CAS students will attend with their respective college.
Caps, Gowns, and Tassels
Academic Regalia (cap and gown) must be worn by all graduates participating in commencement ceremonies and may be purchased at the University Bookstore after March 19 until Commencement day.
Bookstore hours: Monday – Thursday, 8 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. Fridays, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.Prices (tax not included): Senior cap, gown and tassel $23.00 Master’s cap, gown and tassel $28.00 Master’s hood $23.00 UMaine Doctoral robe and hood rental, and tam – please contact Bookstore at 581.1735. Early pick-up is strongly advised. For more information please call the Bookstore at 581-1700.
A reader card is a card that must be filled out and handed to the “reader” as you approach the stage so your name may be read aloud as you cross the stage. Blue reader cards will be available when graduates pick up their guest tickets. There will be other opportunities to pick up a reader card.
Diplomas will be mailed by the end of July. Please be sure your Diploma address is on file with the Office of Student Records, 5781 Wingate Hall, Room 100, Orono, ME 04469-5781
Tel: 207.581.1303, Fax: 207.581.1314, email: firstname.lastname@example.org